The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

What do you call?

2 plays from Fridya night:

1) A1 running with the ball is tackled by b1. B1 has his right hand inside the helmet from the back and pulls him down (not a PF pull down) I have been told that the back side of the helemt does not count as an opeing??

2)ON a try, B97 in a 3 point stance fliches on the count every time. It is hard to read if he is intentionally tyring to cause the Oline to move or if he is just trying to guess the count. What would you call? (1 time in 6 trys did an OL move for a false start.)
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

1) Rule says opening, I am trying to immage that being pulled down like that is not a PF/15 yard foul.

2) Nothing
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_bbcoach
2 plays from Fridya night:

1) A1 running with the ball is tackled by b1. B1 has his right hand inside the helmet from the back and pulls him down (not a PF pull down) I have been told that the back side of the helemt does not count as an opeing??
Definitely a penalty. Using any helmet opening is considered a foul.

Quote:
2)ON a try, B97 in a 3 point stance fliches on the count every time. It is hard to read if he is intentionally tyring to cause the Oline to move or if he is just trying to guess the count. What would you call? (1 time in 6 trys did an OL move for a false start.)
Unless B crosses the neutral zone or is imitating the snap count, there is no foul.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Unless B crosses the neutral zone or is imitating the snap count, there is no foul.[/QUOTE]

The arguement from A coach is that by his flinching, he was imitating the snap count. I told him no, he appeared to be trying to guess the count. HE did not like that reply very much. My thought, he did not say anything nor did he cross the line. I would have had a tough time calling and justifying it. I rules nothing.

THanks
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The arguement from A coach is that by his flinching, he was imitating the snap count. I told him no, he appeared to be trying to guess the count. HE did not like that reply very much. My thought, he did not say anything nor did he cross the line. I would have had a tough time calling and justifying it. I rules nothing.

THanks
REPLY: Coach can complain about whaever he wants, but bottom line is that it is his team that determines the snap count. If it's good enough to keep B97 off balance, good for him. You were right. Unless Team B imitates a snap count ("hut"), he's got nothing to complain about.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unless B crosses the neutral zone or is imitating the snap count, there is no foul.

THanks[/QUOTE]

What rule says he can not imitate the snap count? He can't VERBALLY do anything that sounds like the snap count ... but he can almost do anything else on his side of the NZ. Defenses flinch all the time when the count isn't what they were expecting - and it's NEVER a penalty.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

NF: 9-5-1-d states acts as well as words constitutes a UC if they are used to interfere with A's signals or movements.

That's the rule, interpretation is up to the official that's there.