The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

White Hat Position

I have a question for white hats. What position do you take on scrimmage kicks, punts in particular. I have always been a couple of steps in front of the kicker on the kicking foot side. Last Monday I did a game and there was a bad snap and the kicker picked up the ball off the ground and started circling and went around me. I felt completely out of position, being caught "inside" on the play. Any suggestions?
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

3-4 yards in front and wide (5-7 yards) outside on his kicking leg side. One thing that may help is just like you move on a regular play when the QB drops back (to maintain your cushion), you move on a bad snap. This way he should not be able to get around you like that. He probably just caught you off guard and by moving with him you can maintain your cushion and that will not happen again.
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

in KY this yesr, we began standing behind K 2-3 yards on kicking side. This does give a better spot to view and move.

Yes, you can view any contact.
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
3-4 yards in front and wide (5-7 yards) outside on his kicking leg side. One thing that may help is just like you move on a regular play when the QB drops back (to maintain your cushion), you move on a bad snap. This way he should not be able to get around you like that. He probably just caught you off guard and by moving with him you can maintain your cushion and that will not happen again.
Monte, I think you're right, he caught me sleeping. I am going to think about positioning and movement. Like most situations, when you learn from experience (usually bad), I never forget it and it doesn't happen again.
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
I have a question for white hats. What position do you take on scrimmage kicks, punts in particular. I have always been a couple of steps in front of the kicker on the kicking foot side. Last Monday I did a game and there was a bad snap and the kicker picked up the ball off the ground and started circling and went around me. I felt completely out of position, being caught "inside" on the play. Any suggestions?
4-5 yards behind the kicker at a 45º angle on the open (LJ) side.
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

I've experimented over the years and prefer 3-5 yards behind the kicker at about 45 degrees. You can see the kicker and the line at the same time, can watch all the blocks coming at you and still have a clear view of the kicker at all times.
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 11:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm 5 yards behind the kicker fairly wide.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

i STAND JUST ABOUT EVEN WITH THE KICKER AND 3 TO 4 YARDS WIDE ON HIS KICKING LEG
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

I stand about 2-3 yards behind the kicker and fairly wide. I look into the holder and have been able to see any contact.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Interesting comments. I use the Fed guidelines of being a yard or two in front of the kicker. What advantage is gained being behind him? What made you decide to stand behind him?
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 11:00am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5
Interesting comments. I use the Fed guidelines of being a yard or two in front of the kicker. What advantage is gained being behind him? What made you decide to stand behind him?
A punt a few years ago where we had the worst snap I've ever seen. Snapped right in my direction, actually.

The next day I went to a college football game. Saw the R deep and wide, definitely behind the punter.

Then focused on this on Sunday during an NFL game. The R was VERY deep and VERY wide.

I tried it on the next Friday. Wondered why I wasn't there to begin with.

I've gotten wider on all scrimmage kicks, actually.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

I am fairly wide just slightly deeper than the kicker making sure that I can see
the ball when it is snapped.

Related to me by a coach who explicitly asked me before a game about where I stood on a punt. He told me that he had a white hat slightly in front of his kicker and fairly close... 3-4 yards wide. His team used an audible to call for a fake punt either left or right or punt if not open.... but the white hat was in his path and the punter is actually motioning the white hat to get out of his way prior to the snap.

So for those of you who are in front of the punter... make sure you aren't in a position to impede a possible fake punt.

Last edited by l3will; Fri Sep 22, 2006 at 11:24am.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

I'm definately wide, about 7 yards so a few backward steps has always been enough for me to get out of the way when needed. I might try this tonight.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Wide to LJ side (5 man crew) and about 5 yards or so behind the kicker, looking through at the oncoming rush. I'll adjust and stand on the goal line or end line if kicker is near there.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 12:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesmith
Wide to LJ side (5 man crew) and about 5 yards or so behind the kicker, looking through at the oncoming rush. I'll adjust and stand on the goal line or end line if kicker is near there.
Right. If the kicker is near the end line, I'll stand one step off the field.

If the kicker is near the goal line, I'll make sure I'm able to step up and rule on a potential safety. But I'm still 5 yards behind the kicker in this situation.