The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 12, 2006, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Caseplay on fouls correct?

NFHS rules, wondering if anyone could explain the caseplay that is in the referee magazine naso edition page N15 entitled "Each Team Fouls" wondering if this is correct? The play is:

Play:
Team A's ball, first and 10 at its own 20. A1's legal forward pass is intercepted by B2 at the 50. During B2's advance, B3 blocks A4 in the back at team A's 40 yardline. In the process of making the tackle at team A's 30 yardline, A5 grasps but does not twist B2's facemask. How are the penalties enforced?

Their Ruling:
Team B can keep the ball because it gained possession with 'clean hands' but both penalties will likely be enforced. The 10yrd penalty for B3's block in the back is enforced from the spot of the foul - moves ball to the 50. Then 5yrd facemask by A5 is enforced leaving team B with 1st and 10 from the A 45.

Is this correct? I thought that if you read NFHS 10.2.2 in order for B to retain the ball (since they got it with clean hands), they have to decline it's opponent's foul.

Here in this caseplay they are saying that both fouls are getting enforced, is that correct for NFHS?? and what rule reference?
Old Tue Sep 12, 2006, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

It is my understand that their ruling is incorrect. Per 10-2-2, Team B can keep the ball because it gained possession as you say with 'clean hands' as long as it declines A's foul. Team B's foul must be enforced so it's Team B, 1/10 at the 50.
If Team B accepts A's foul (which it does have the right to do), then they offset, replay down.

Now, what if A didn't foul? What are the options?
Old Tue Sep 12, 2006, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, they got this one wrong. I noticed it while reading on the train and was going to post a message. I seem to recall it ended with "both codes agree."

I don't know about NCAA but they're definitely wrong for the fed part.

Frankly, I don't understand why they don't take the time to make 100% sure they're correct. I mean there are a lot of young officials who read this magazine who are trying to make it through trainee / cadet programs to become varsity officials and use it as a valuable resource.

I tell our new guys to sign up and participate on this forum. I tell them if they ask questions on this forum that guys would "come from all 4 corners" of the country to respond to questions and learn from mistakes we all make and are brave enough to share with one another.
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I've spoken to the REFEREE editor about this one. He agrees that this was an error.