The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 11, 2006, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Penalty?

Is it a penalty for the defense to delibertly make movements in an effort to get the offense to move, causing a false start? If so, where is the rule in the rule book (nfhs)?

Thanks
Old Mon Sep 11, 2006, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA: 7-1-5-a-4.

NF: Check in rule 9 for noncontact fouls by players and looks for the words "disconcerting words or acts". (I don't have my rulebook with me.)

Now, having said that, in my opinion be very careful about calling this foul. I believe that a lot of latitude must be given to the defense because the offense knows the snap count and just as the offense tries to get the defense to jump with hard counts, etc., part of being a defensive lineman is to anticipate the snap and that includes flinching, etc and it's up to the offense to not move.
Now with that in mind, if you can clearly tell that the DT or NG is clearly ignoring the ball and even the play that's about to go and is clearly just being an *** to the OL in front of him, then I think a stern warning after the play is in order. Some guys don't agree with me as they feel that the onus is completely on the offense, but just as some acts are illegal because it's not part of the game, i.e. "Where's the tee?" etc., I believe that excessively chucking and flinching on almost every play is outside the spirit of the rules and the intent of the game and is borderline unsportsmanlike. As a former defensive lineman myself, I feel that they need to be a man about it and come off the ball hard and beat their opponent at the LOS, not jerk around with this "chickens***" behavior. If it's strategy and they can make their opponent possibly false start at a critical time and they don't overtly use confusing or 'disconcerting' words, then good for them for backing Team A up 5 yards, but I've had D linemen in JV games do it play after play and it gets old. I don't think I've ever flagged it more than once--and that was after repeated warnings to knock it off--usually a decent amount of preventive officiating gets the job done, but just know that in extreme cases you have a rule to back you up. Again, some guys don't agree so you'll have to go by what your association and your crew chief says, and you'll eventually figure out how you want to call it.

Just my .02
Old Mon Sep 11, 2006, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kraine27 Send a message via MSN to kraine27 Send a message via Yahoo to kraine27
NFHS Rules book
PG. 67 9-5-1d
Old Mon Sep 11, 2006, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

what about when the defense either stomps their feet in a feint attempt to advance, or the blitzing LB who comes running up and stops at the line.

What would your opinoins be on these actions by the defense
Old Mon Sep 11, 2006, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref49873
what about when the defense either stomps their feet in a feint attempt to advance, or the blitzing LB who comes running up and stops at the line.

What would your opinoins be on these actions by the defense
REPLY: Let it go. The real no-no is when the defense makes verbal sounds ("hut-hut") that interfere with A's cadence.
Old Mon Sep 11, 2006, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Let it go. The real no-no is when the defense makes verbal sounds ("hut-hut") that interfere with A's cadence.
Bingo. The exact phrasing of the rule (9-5-1d) is: "Using disconcerting acts or words prior to the snap in an attempt to interfere with A's signals or movements."
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

This was asked by a fan, so the simple answer is no - it is not against the rules for the defense to deliberately make movements in an effort to the get the offense to move. There are extreme cases where it could be a foul, but in most cases this is not a foul.

And for us officials - There may be a penalty, but only if you decide that there is a foul.