The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Tail Bone Pads

Has anyone seen the McDavid pants that have pads built into them? The tail bone pad is very thin and you can't tell the player is wearing one unless you ask them. If we as officials deem these pads as not providing enough protection, are they legal?
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyjets
Has anyone seen the McDavid pants that have pads built into them? The tail bone pad is very thin and you can't tell the player is wearing one unless you ask them. If we as officials deem these pads as not providing enough protection, are they legal?
I know that have to have these pads in but am I going to go around to all 40-50-80 players on the team and verify they are wearing them...NO! Referee the game, you asked the coach before the game if his players were legally equipped and he said...YES, it is his problem. If someone brings it to your attention I may address it then.
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

The rules book is very clear about the construction of knee pads and thigh guards but only state that a player must wear hip pads and a tailbone protector.

1-5-1 Mandatory equipment. Each player shall participate while wearing the following pieces of properly fitted equipment, which shall be professionally manufactured and not altered to decrease protection:

1-5-1b Hip pads with tailbone protector.

1-5-1d Knee pads worn over the knee and under the pants and at least ½ inch thick or 3/8 inch thick if made of an approved shock absorbing material.

1-5-1h Thigh guards which shall have any hard surface covered with material such as closed-cell vinyl foam which has a minimum compression resistance of 4-8 pounds for 25 percent compression or other material with equivalent specifications and is at least ¼ inch thick on the outside surface and at least 3/8 inch thick on the inside surface and the overlap of the edge. Shin guards, if worn, must meet these specifications.

So common sense would say that the tailbone protector should be at least 3/8 inch thick but the rules don't say that.
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenkicker
The rules book is very clear about the construction of knee pads and thigh guards but only state that a player must wear hip pads and a tailbone protector.

1-5-1 Mandatory equipment. Each player shall participate while wearing the following pieces of properly fitted equipment, which shall be professionally manufactured and not altered to decrease protection:

1-5-1b Hip pads with tailbone protector.

1-5-1d Knee pads worn over the knee and under the pants and at least ½ inch thick or 3/8 inch thick if made of an approved shock absorbing material.

1-5-1h Thigh guards which shall have any hard surface covered with material such as closed-cell vinyl foam which has a minimum compression resistance of 4-8 pounds for 25 percent compression or other material with equivalent specifications and is at least ¼ inch thick on the outside surface and at least 3/8 inch thick on the inside surface and the overlap of the edge. Shin guards, if worn, must meet these specifications.

So common sense would say that the tailbone protector should be at least 3/8 inch thick but the rules don't say that.
I will have to pack a ruler along with my flags for my game tonight!
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

During our preseason clinic, we were informed of these new pants/shorts and notified that they are valid and legal.
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyjets
They're wearing pads. That's all they need.

However, I disagree with RonRef's attitude toward this issue. As a U, I walk among both teams during pregame warmups, looking at kneepads, butt pads, visors, mouthpieces, and chin straps. It's not a difficult task. If I can find an issue and take care of it prior to the game, then that's good preventative officiating. It also makes for good repoire with the coach, if I can inform him of an issue that allows him to avoid a USC flag during the game. Even more important, I may prevent a kid from getting hurt by his own youthful exuberance.

There's nothing to be gained by ignoring the rule. If an official ignores equipment rules, what other rules is he ignoring?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Fri Sep 08, 2006 at 10:06pm.