The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

A player (boy or girl) has a pony tail half-way down their back. Is this legal? Do you address it as a safety issue? How do you address it?
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Under what rule would you rule it illegal?
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I'd say it is a safety concern, but not something within the officials' jurisdiction. I would ask the coach to do what he can to make sure it's tucked behind the player's pads in the jersey, and if it comes out during play, I'd ask that it be fixed. But that's as far as I'd go. Next question...what if a defender grabs it to pull down a runner or to get to a live ball that he can possess? Are you going to call a foul?
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

the nfl clarified that last season. they said if hair is exposed outside of the helmet it is fair game to be pulled. i like that ruling.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 09:21am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
I wont call a foul, and after that I bet that that would be the last time their hair was exposed as such.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelpr
the nfl clarified that last season. they said if hair is exposed outside of the helmet it is fair game to be pulled. i like that ruling.
"Get a haircut and get a real job

Clean your act up and don't be a slob"
~ George Thorogood

I for one would LOVE to see a wideout high-tailing down the sideline with his Gorgeous George mane flowing straight out behind him with the ball tucked under his arm, when B reaches out and gets a hold of Goldie's locks and yanks him/her back to reality 10 yards shy of a dead-certain TD!

Maybe there'd even be a pile of hair to mark the spot???

WM

Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

If it's in a pony tail then what is holding the pony tail together? A rubber band, a hair tie of some sort? Is that rubber band or hair tie something that could be labeled jewelry? Things that make you go hmmm...
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Hair Control devices are not considered to be jewelry items by thye NF unless they are "hard" material.
Ever seen a girls track meet, field hockey, volleyball, soccer teams, softball etc etc play?
Lots of pony tails out there.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
Hair Control devices are not considered to be jewelry items by thye NF unless they are "hard" material.
Ever seen a girls track meet, field hockey, volleyball, soccer teams, softball etc etc play?
I'm not familiar with how they rule on jewelry. Could a football player wear, say, a rubber band on his wrist? If not, then I'm asking why he could wear one on his pony tail. If he can wear a rubber band on his wrist then why can't he wear the yellow bracelet? Not being a smarty pants, I'm just curious.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Listen to what they are saying... Hair control devices like a rubber band or a scrungee all of course being soft can be worn in your hair.

You wear them on your wrist or arm or leg it's now jewelry.
got it?
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Listen to what they are saying... Hair control devices like a rubber band or a scrungee all of course being soft can be worn in your hair.

You wear them on your wrist or arm or leg it's now jewelry.
got it?
I agree with Theisey.
Old Sat Sep 03, 2005, 10:06pm
Chain of Fools

Rubber bands

Those rubber bracelets are considered uniform adornments and thus illegal.

Soft hair bands would be legal. Pony tails, dreadlocks- nothing against them in the book so why would one want to create a foul out of it?
Old Sun Sep 04, 2005, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by kdf5
Quote:
I'm not familiar with how they rule on jewelry. Could a football player wear, say, a rubber band on his wrist? If not, then I'm asking why he could wear one on his pony tail. If he can wear a rubber band on his wrist then why can't he wear the yellow bracelet? Not being a smarty pants, I'm just curious.
Go call a girls basketball game and thell them to take the hair pieces out, telling them it is jewelry. Call me before you do. I want to be in the stands when you do. I need a good laugh.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.