The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Why a LJ or L shoudl ALWAYS start the play on the sidelines.

This is my 3rd year as a varsity official. I'm usually working LJ. I learned a very, very important lesson last Friday night. The wisdom is that you should always start the play on the sidelines. As a relatively young and in shape official, I have a bad habit of wanting to be in closer to the play than I should.

A (home team) is punting from around their 30-40 on the far hash from me. Substitutions are taking place and as the ready for play is blown, a couple players are heading towards my sideline (these are the players sub-ing out I thought). At the time I was around 3 yards off the sideline into the field of play (remember ball is on far hash). As I go through my count, I have 4 off the line and everything is set to go. Right then I hear a player say "I'm behind you sir". I look around and realize the I had a player on the field, on the line, behind me. I back up and my first thought is "did he stop with the subs coming off the firled, or did he commit an illegal substitution by just stepping onto the field?" As I step back, I notice that there is no defender on him and right at that moment the ball is snapped...you guessed it, the recieve that was behind me runs down the field for a long pass (no TD).

Alertly and to save my butt, the white hat throws the flag and calls illegal substitution. Although, I believe that the player was inside the 9 yard mark long enough to satisfy that criteria, calling back the long pass play was the right thing to do. I hated it that my poor mechanic created a situation that lead to that penalty being called. I was always tiold that the reason you start on the side line is to get a wider view of the game and to make sure you don't get run over...I tend to think that the most importnat reason it to make sure that you don't have a substitution infraction.

I sure learned from this experience and I hope maybe this might help someone else as well ( man this is like therapy).
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to FootballRef05
Thumbs up

If the player was momentarily inside the 9 yard marks how was throwing a flag for illegal sub. the right thing to do? If the WH was certain he violated the rule then yes, but you state you believe he was not in violation. The penalty cost them a big gain that may have been done legally.

I agree with you about the mechanic, and your example is a good one as to why you should stay wide. My first game is this Friday night and I an the L, I will keep it mind!
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

It doesn't matter if he was in the 9 yard marks after the RFP or not, he is a hide out and it will be illegal participation. See below.

9-6-4-d d. To use a player, replaced player or substitute in a substitution or pretended substitution to deceive opponents at or immediately before the snap or free kick.

case book .6.4 SITUATION A: Several A substitutes enter the field between downs and go to the team's huddle, but one replaced player does not leave immediately and is not detected. However, when they break the huddle the replaced player runs toward his sideline and leaves the field just before the ball is snapped. RULING: An illegal participation foul if the official judges that A was using a replaced player or substitute in a substitution or pretended substitution to deceive the opponents. If not, it is illegal substitution. (3-7-2) COMMENT: It is becoming prevalent to see more than 11 players/replaced players in a team's huddle or in the defensive formation between downs. The replaced player is to leave the field immediately and in such a manner that it does not confuse or deceive the opponents.
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballRef05
If the player was momentarily inside the 9 yard marks how was throwing a flag for illegal sub. the right thing to do? If the WH was certain he violated the rule then yes, but you state you believe he was not in violation. The penalty cost them a big gain that may have been done legally.

I agree with you about the mechanic, and your example is a good one as to why you should stay wide. My first game is this Friday night and I an the L, I will keep it mind!
NO WAY it is legal. See my above post.
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 11:53am
Chain of Fools

Even if I'm cheating in

I will check the subs coming in and out off of my sideline. I think THAT is where your trouble started. You need to make sure players coming off to your sideline DO step off. As I was trained back in the 7-9 yds . off the widest man days, I was also trained to swivel the head to insure that subs got in and off. For the record, on varsity, I do now try to get to the sideline and work back in.

3 yds doesn't sound too far in to me if the ball is on the far side hash. The 9 yard marks were far enough aways in front of that you should have been able to determine if an A player was inside them or not.

Sounds to me as if he DID come off the sideline and sneak in behind you.
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

MJT is 100% correct and this is a foul in both NF and NCAA. The substitution process cannot be used in any way to "hide" any of the 11 legal players on the field.

By "leaving" and heading to the sideline together with replaced players, the "legal" player has created doubt (and confusion) as to his status by using the substitution process to "hide" his true status as one of the 11 players who is staying on the field.

That's illegal in both codes.

In fact, NCAA rules would support flagging the play with an illegal substitution DB foul as soon as an official realized that a "legal" player left the huddle and headed to the sideline together with departing substitutes.
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Even in the dead ball times, NEVER allow any players to be behind you, even if you are marking and selling a spot. You could have a nasty fighting foul that you won't see. So, if you move in, don't pass any players.

Our wings start with their feet on the sideline and work the field "square." This is easier to do now that the chains are 2 yds back.
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC
I will check the subs coming in and out off of my sideline. I think THAT is where your trouble started..
Exactly. There's nothing wrong with closing down a little when the ball is on the far hash. Your mistake was not paying attention to the subs coming in and the replaced players going out.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith