The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Gloves (NFHS)

Looking for interpretations of 1.5.2.c...I have yet to see an NF label or stanp on the gloves these kids wear in HS. In West Michigan, I am waiting for an answer within our organization for consistency from contest, to contest. I feel it's overkill, to rule on this (many more important equipment issues relating to safety to enforce). Just curious if any situations have come up to warrant concern over gloves.

Thanks
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't be overly concerned unless you see a glove that looks very abnormal. The NFHS logo is usually on the inside of the glove somewhere- either stamped on or on a tag.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 01:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have heard from a couple of sources that the Under Armor gloves that seemed to be popular do not have a NF/NCAA tag on them.

I would not go looking for trouble unless it is brought to your direct attention or something is very unusual about the gloves.

I know it may not seem like a big issue, but if something gives you an extra edge to catch the football that can be big advantage. I just would not go looking for legality unless something jumps out at you. At the very least, have the players remove the gloves when discovered and play the game.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Not to cop out but you don't need to worry about gloves unless you are asked. When the coach verifies that all of his players are legally equiped, that includes the gloves so unless either the coach asks you or you notice something especially unusual about them, don't worry about them. Now if the coach asks you to check or you have some other reason, then you can check for the seal/tag.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
Not to cop out but you don't need to worry about gloves unless you are asked. When the coach verifies that all of his players are legally equiped, that includes the gloves so unless either the coach asks you or you notice something especially unusual about them, don't worry about them. Now if the coach asks you to check or you have some other reason, then you can check for the seal/tag.
The last thing you want is for a player to come in the fourth quarter at WR, catch what is the winning touchdown and have the opposing coach get your attention to inspect the receivers gloves (the coach saw the gloves before the game). What do you now have? The short answer is a mess.

While the rule book now lets you get by with the coach certifiyng his players equipment, in reality coaches are so busy getting ready for a game until they are lucky to know players names -- we have all seen that.

My policy is to always view the teams in warmup to see if you can spot illegal equipment and avoid the aforementioned.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 02:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland
The last thing you want is for a player to come in the fourth quarter at WR, catch what is the winning touchdown and have the opposing coach get your attention to inspect the receivers gloves (the coach saw the gloves before the game). What do you now have? The short answer is a mess.
Then the coach should have brought it to the attention of the officials. It is not our job to check every single piece of equipment. This is why we ask the coach "Are your players properly equip and legally ready to play?

Quote:
While the rule book now lets you get by with the coach certifiyng his players equipment, in reality coaches are so busy getting ready for a game until they are lucky to know players names -- we have all seen that.
All we can do is make note when we come in contact with all players. Even during warm-ups not all players are wearing all their equipment when they enter the field.

Quote:
My policy is to always view the teams in warmup to see if you can spot illegal equipment and avoid the aforementioned.
The key to what you said is "see if you can spot illegal equipment..."

It is kind of hard to know what is inside of a glove while looking literally 30 to 40 yards away. Now of course you might choose a couple of players and look at them, but it is unlikely you are going to check 50 players on one team that has equipment right before a game. I just do not see you or anyone doing that.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 26, 2006, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Hey I am a player here, so I know this may sound stupid but does the seal really say everything. I know of some guys who spray toughskin ( the stuff the trainers use before they wrap a body part, the stuff that sticks to anything) on their gloves, this is obviously illegle, but can you defend against this? My point is no matter how hard you try players are going to get around the glove rule.
Old Sat Aug 26, 2006, 11:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

You cannot put foreign substances on your hands or uniform either. So players can try to get away with but if they get caught, there can be ramifications.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 27, 2006, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
You cannot put foreign substances on your hands or uniform either. So players can try to get away with but if they get caught, there can be ramifications.

Peace
I understand that but how are officials going to find out? its not like you check everyones hands before the game.
Old Sun Aug 27, 2006, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

players try to skirt rules?

Say it aint so!

When I was in HS, the stickum was expensive, so guys used honey. Worked great until they fell for the first time and had to put their hands out to break the fall - they then had a glove full of dirt and grass stuck to the glove making it quite slick. So much for that experiment.
Old Sun Aug 27, 2006, 02:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzzy07
I understand that but how are officials going to find out? its not like you check everyones hands before the game.
How do you find out with any illegal equipment or substance? You either discover it or it is pointed out to you.

Peace