Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

New interpt on starting the clock

Have at it boys....

NCAA Football Rules Committee Interpretations

The committee met via conference call on August 23 and approved the following interpretations. It should be noted that these interpretations are not rules changes, but are being provided after the committee received several questions regarding its rules.

Rule 3-2-5-e, When to Start the Clock.

Interpretation: When Team B is awarded a first down, the clock will be stopped and will start on the ready for play signal when Team B will snap the ball.

Approved Ruling Clarifications:
3-2-5-II: Fourth down and six yards to go. Team A’s running play, which ends inbounds, gains five yards. B1 is offside on the play. Ruling: Team A’s ball. Fourth and one. The clock starts on the snap because there was no change in possession.

3-2-5-III: Fourth down and four yards to go. Team A’s running play, which ends inbounds, gains three yards. B1 is offside during the play. Ruling: Team A’s ball. First and 10 after accept-ing the penalty. The clock starts on the snap because there was no change in possession.

3-2-5-IV: Third down and four yards to go. Team’s pass is intercepted by B1, who is downed inbounds. B2 was offside during the play. Ruling: Team A’s ball. First and 10. The clock starts on the snap.

8-7-2-IX: Fourth down and five yards to go on Team B’s 20-yard line. A30 fumbles at team B’s 16-yard line. The ball rolls to the 10-yard line (either at rest or still rolling), where (a) B40 bats the loose ball backward and out of bounds at Team B’s five-yard line or (b) forward and out of bounds at Team B’s 18-yard line. Ruling: (a) The bat is legal and it is Team B’s ball first and 10 at Team B’s 16 yard line, the clock starts on the ready for play signal. (b) This is illegal batting, penalize Team B from the spot of the fumble. Team A’s ball first and goal, the clock starts on the snap.

10-1-4-I: Team A punts and is illegally in motion at the snap. The untouched ball goes out of bounds between the goal lines, after which Team B commits a personal foul. Ruling: If Team B elects to replay the down, Team A will be penalized five yards at the previous spot followed by a 15-yard penalty against Team B. Team B’s foul shall award an automatic first down. The clock starts on the snap.
Old Thu Aug 24, 2006, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Are these on the NCAA site?

(edited: yep this is on the NCAA officiating page)

Looks to be they're updating their previously updated ARs except for 8-7-2-IX.

Last edited by Theisey; Fri Aug 25, 2006 at 08:12pm.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Just got them from our supervisor. The main point is that to start the clock on the ready, B has to be awarded the ball and must physically be able to snap it.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

I am very confused about this. For example, the only reason for stopping the clock was to enforce the penalties by B. I don't understand, even with the new rule, why would start on the snap. I need to download the 2006 rule book but if you could offer an explanation to help me understand, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
I am very confused about this. For example, the only reason for stopping the clock was to enforce the penalties by B. I don't understand, even with the new rule, why would start on the snap. I need to download the 2006 rule book but if you could offer an explanation to help me understand, it would be greatly appreciated.
I was confused too so i went back to the 2005 NCAA rule book (this is a difference from NF)...

Fourth and six. Team A’s running play, which ends inbounds, gains (a)
eight yards or (b) five yards. B1 is offside during the play. RULING: (a)
Team A’s ball. First and 10. The clock starts on the ready-for play signal.
(b) Team A’s ball. Fourth and one. The clock starts on the snap.

In NCAA, under the "old" rules if you stopped the clock to award B a first down but the ball went back to A - you started on the snap.

The "new" rule is essentially if B is next to snap the ball (for a play immediately after A just snapped or free kicked), we start on the ready. The rest, as far as I know, remains the same.