The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Overtime TOs

At our rules session the other night, there was a discussion as to how TOs are accumulated during OT periods.

One philosophy was that a team that has remaining TOs from the 2nd half may use them in any OT period, plus the one TO per OT period.

Others said that the use of the word "additional" in OT 3-5-1 on page 84 indicated that teams can accumulate their OT TOs as well in that if a team has 2 2nd half TOs remaining and they don't use their 'extra' TO issued to them in the 1st OT period, then they would have a total of 4 TOs starting the 2nd OT period.

The first group said that they forfeit the one OT TO from the 1st period if not used during that period, but couldn't find a rule to cite.

Any ideas?

thanks
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Do what you state says to do..

There is no NFHS Overtime rule. The stuff written in the book is nothing more that a suggestion of how to run an overtime. This topic comes up every year, and rightfully so because of the simple fact that there is no formal rule. I can tell you what we do here for timeouts, but that will not help you out your way.

Your state should be providing written guidelines for your chapter meetings. Find out what those are.
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: If we assume that you're using the NFHS recommended procedure on PP. 83-86 of the rule book, my understanding is that all TOs from either the second half or from prior OT periods do carry over. The Federation wording on this isn't the greatest, but from everything I've read and heard, that's the intention. Here in NJ, we don't use the Fed procedure, so I can't be 100% sure how it's used. Also...remember that each state is free to use the Fed procedure as is, use it with modification, use a different procedure, or use none whatsoever. I would recommend that you contact your state office and ask them for the definitive answer.
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

thanks guys....

I already sent the email--we'll see what they come back with
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

This was discussed in another site. If your state uses the NFHS overtime procedures, the second half time outs and the over-time time outs do accumulate. See the NFHS Handbook for verification. It was also in the NFHS Bulletin that was distributed at our (MO) State Rules Meeting last year. The wording in much clearer in the hand book and clearly points out that the time-outs accumulate so if a team used no time-outs, by the second overtime they would have five time-outs available.
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Jim,

Where can I find a copy of the NFHS handbook? Do you have the link or do you have to be a member of the NFHS?

thanks
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

The NFHS Football handbook says they "may" be used in the OT periods. Your State makes the determination if the "are" to be used.
That's the facts.
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Two states that I know of, North Carolina and Florida, do not allow OT timeouts to accumulate.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Aug 10, 2006, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_NV
Jim,

Where can I find a copy of the NFHS handbook? Do you have the link or do you have to be a member of the NFHS?

thanks
Go to www.nfhs.com
Old Fri Aug 11, 2006, 07:35am
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Two states that I know of, North Carolina and Florida, do not allow OT timeouts to accumulate.
Add Georgia to that list.

Quote:
1. There will be a 3-minute intermission between the end of regulation play and the coin toss to start the overtime procedure.
2. The captains will meet for the coin toss, and the winner may choose one of the following:
(a) Be on offense first
(b) Be on defense first
(c) Choose the end of the field on which to play
3. The ball is placed on the 15-yard line and the offense keeps the ball until:
(a) The ball is turned over on downs NOTE: The team on offense can gain a first down.
(b) The defense gains possession of the ball (ball is dead immediately)
(c) The offense scores a touchdown or field goal
(d) The offense misses a field goal
4. After the first offensive team completes its possession, the opposing team gets its opportunity from the 15-yard line.
5. If the game remains tied after each team has had an offensive possession, there will be a 2-minute intermission and the team that lost the first coin toss has the first option for the second possession.
6. For each additional overtime period (i.e., an offensive possession by each team) the coin toss options are alternated.
7. Beginning with the third overtime period, a team must attempt a 2-point try after a touchdown.
8. Each team is allowed one timeout per overtime period. No timeouts may be carried over from regulation play.
9. Penalty enforcement is handled the same way in overtime as in regulation play.
Old Fri Aug 11, 2006, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: In NJ, we use the NCAA OT procedure. So TOs don't accumulate here either.