The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

first year official

hey guys,

this is myfirst post and also my first year officiating, with that said i'm looking for advice.....anything that you would tell a first year official or things you would have liked to have known your first year...

this is a great site, and i plan on being an active participant.

thanks in advance.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah... QUIT before its too late!

Seriously, 23 years ago when I started.. I knew the rules ok, but not great. The main problem was mechanics. It took several years of trial and error and a lot of (constructive) criticism before I think I finally felt I knew what I was doing.

Point being, my class of new officials did not get much of that kind of training and I wish we could have. Seek it out, it will make the games go much better for you!
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 08:58pm
Chain of Fools

1st year

Find a mentor you trust. Not the loudest guy, not the flashiest guy but a solid official who won't BS you. I almost hated the guy that trained me as a wingman but he made me a better official.

Buy the Reddings Fed guide. It breaks the rulebook up into a much easier to read and understand format. The rulebook can read like the tax code and I've always hated the casebook, particularly last year when there were so many revisions. The casebook reads like the old math word problems I hated in school - "a train leaves Chicago with a load of apples at 4:00 pm, another train leaves LA with a load of bananas at 6:30. How many bananas did the monkey eat?"

If you can find video to watch, get it. The one thing that I've been disappointed in is the product that the NF puts out. They have a annual training VHS tape, I think its about $40 and it doesn't tell you much. See if your local coaches will let you look at some tapes. Learn to watch it as an official, not a fan.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Go to as many on-field clinics as possible. Then, when scrimmages start, go to every one you can possibly make -- at least 4 or 5. Work every position on the field (including R) during the scrimmages and see what you like and don't like about each. For sure, get familiar with HL and supervising the chain crew, because likely you will have plenty of sub-varsity games with kids running the chains.

One thing I'm going to start doing this year is to carry a digital voice recorder with me. In every game I've had, I've thought of something I wanted to check -- maybe a rule, mechanic, interpretation, etc. Usually, by the time I got home or the next day, I forgot. If you have the voice recorder, you can jot the situation and then formulate a question or the information you need for further research.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with HLinNC, the Redding Study Guide https://thatsitideas.com/doublesdist...onlineform.htm is awesome. I have it right beside me on the couch to look at when I am done with checking the boards. Read it, highlight it, and work as many games as you can.

Go to a clinic or two if you can and any on field stuff at a clinic is a bonus.

This board, and the NF board, http://www.nfhs.org/scriptcontent/va...?ubb=forum;f=9, will get more and more busy as we get closer to the season. You can learn from reading, looking in the rulebook for answers, posting, and asking your own questions.

A mentor is a great way to go if you have someone who is good and will work with you. Talk to him about things as often as he will let you, via email or phone.

Start watching games and thinking of what the signals and enforcements for fouls that you see happen are before the official comes on and does the signal and enforces the penalty.

HAVE FUN AND NEVER STOP LEARNING OR STUDYING!!! GREAT TO HAVE YOU ABOARD!!

Grant's site has a ton of good stuff. http://home.comcast.net/~minnmo/football.htm

Last edited by MJT; Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 11:53pm.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 2, Rule 2, Rule 2. It is the rule that is the foundation of all other rules.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5
Rule 2, Rule 2, Rule 2. It is the rule that is the foundation of all other rules.
I 2nd the rule 2! Agree with other posters, since the season is upon us, try to find an official who will go out to a practice field, work a littel with some mechanics at ONE position.

It helped me just working one position for about three years before learning the another. I started at HL, it is similar to LJ, so basically you were learning it at the same time. However, there's some basic differnces during pre-game and kicking game. When I felt comforable at the HL, I worked games at the LJ during those first three years. I then went to the BJ spot, worked it a few games but I always end up at the HL spot!

I am starting my 8th year, I worked about 4 games last year at the WH spot. Just take time, master one position at a time and enjoy it. I could kick myself for not getting certified earlier in my life.

Work camps, scrimmages, pee wee, middle school, JV, anytiime you can get on the field, do it. Never turn down a game, this will open up the eyes of the person who schedules, show them you are dependable. Don't only settle for the NFHS books, order more resources, work these boards and have fun. If you have a question, don't mind asking us idiots.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5
Agree with that 100%. Also, learn the "Fundamental Statements". If you can apply a fundamental statement to a situation, if will help a great deal to clarify what your ruling should be.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

thanks for all the positive feedback guys......i actually have the Reddings guide on my bedside table and it seems well written.....thanks again!
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Welcome to the world of officiating. One other recommendation. Stay tuned to this board and since you're apparently from Mississippi, register on the National Federation discussion forum as well (link below). This board will get a mixture of posts for both Federation and NCAA football. Most folks identify the code they're requesting, but some do not. The NF site is pretty much exclusively Federation. As you frequent these boards, you'll get to know many of the posters and begin to understand each person's relative strengths. Don't take everything you read here as gospel, but filter it through your new association's leadership to see how their philosophy might differ.

http://www.nfhs.org/scriptcontent/va...?ubb=forum;f=9 (NFHS Discussion Forum)
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

As BobM said not everything you read is gospel. You'll learn pretty quick of those who do speak the gospel, but we are human and sometimes we do post things in error, so I recommend taking what you read here in regards to rules and find the answer you are given in the rule book. It'll help you fully understand the rule.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Stay away from the play. It's very easy to get sucked in very close to the play because you want to see what's going on. Resist that instinct - you will have a much better view of the entire play if you can keep your distance until the play ends, and then come in to handle the aftermath. To the end, when on the sidelines, keep them clear of players and coaches as much as you can - it's much easier to officiate a play coming at you near the sideline when you've got a couple of yards to back off.

Stay calm. It's also very easy to get caught up in the excitement of the moment. Take a few seconds to breathe before you talk to the angry coach. Take a second or two to think about what just happened before you throw the flag. Take a second or two to make sure the runner is down/stopped before you blow your whistle.

Relax, and have fun. If you're not enjoying it, it's not worth doing.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Good info from TRU.
I don't know if it's possible where you're from, but when I started (actually, I still do this today) I wouldn't crew with the same guys each game. That way I'd learn a little bit from several different officials. Good luck!
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

When you're out there, let the play happen. It's not a race to see who can blow their whistle the quickest. Relax and have fun!
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnupchurch
Good info from TRU.
I don't know if it's possible where you're from, but when I started (actually, I still do this today) I wouldn't crew with the same guys each game. That way I'd learn a little bit from several different officials. Good luck!
Hey John, have you played any Texas Holdem Poker lately?