The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TXMATTHEW05
Smile

Please quiz me, as I will be an official starting next season; I want all the information I can get!
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome aboard Matthew

Glad to see you found this discussion forum. This is a great place to get advice. I would also advise you to find a local, readily accessible mentor who can give you "live" feedback.

Best wishes in your officiating endeavor.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Thank you

Thank you for that kind post, williebfree. I'm glad I'm here.

After months and months of searching, the high school booker for our area has agreed to certify me - next August. I have to go to an 8 hour seminar, then take a test the next day (4 hours). If all goes well, I will be a certified official. Of course, I WILL NOT be doing high school basketball, but league games (8th grade and under). I look foward to it.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 03:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Elsewhere on this board, I have posted my usual advice to newbies. It involves tape recordings, howler monkeys, etc. Look back to find it and I'm sure it will be helpful.

My only other advice is: tuck your whistle in your shirt when you take a leak.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
My only other advice is: tuck your whistle in your shirt when you take a leak.
Man, I could have gone all week without thinking of the consequences of not following that advice.

Guess that is one of the advantages of being slightly round in the middle
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Ok here it is.

Player A1 is shooting the front end of a 1 and 1. During this time, Betty(one of the cheerleaders) is throwing a pompom into the air on the the sidelines. Rahrah Roger(male cheerleader) is holding Nancy(another cheerleader) in the air while she is doing the splits. Next to Roger and Nancy is Buffy, yelling into a megaphone(legal or not?) "Rickum Rackum Rackum Ruckum get that ball and really F....Fight". You are the trail official on the free throw administration. The shot misses and the rebound comes off long to B1 on the fast break. You, being a good official, get out of bounds to avoid a collision with the players, and while back pedalling collide with Betty. This causes a chain reaction where you and all the cheerleaders are in a heap. Immediately, Henry(a photographer from the school paper) snaps a photo of you lying on top of Betty. Roger, next to you has the megaphone impaled in his head. Meanwhile B1 on the fast break makes a try. A2 who has obtained legal guarding position is contacted by B1 on the try. A3 comes in and goaltends the shot. What is the call?
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by daves
Ok here it is.

Player A1 is shooting the front end of a 1 and 1. During this time, Betty(one of the cheerleaders) is throwing a pompom into the air on the the sidelines. Rahrah Roger(male cheerleader) is holding Nancy(another cheerleader) in the air while she is doing the splits. Next to Roger and Nancy is Buffy, yelling into a megaphone(legal or not?) "Rickum Rackum Rackum Ruckum get that ball and really F....Fight". You are the trail official on the free throw administration. The shot misses and the rebound comes off long to B1 on the fast break. You, being a good official, get out of bounds to avoid a collision with the players, and while back pedalling collide with Betty. This causes a chain reaction where you and all the cheerleaders are in a heap. Immediately, Henry(a photographer from the school paper) snaps a photo of you lying on top of Betty. Roger, next to you has the megaphone impaled in his head. Meanwhile B1 on the fast break makes a try. A2 who has obtained legal guarding position is contacted by B1 on the try. A3 comes in and goaltends the shot. What is the call?
Since I am also new (but slightly older that the originator), I will take a shot on the call as well.

Score the basket, PC foul on B1.

The megaphone would be legal since it is being used for it's intended purpose, and from previous discussions I don't think the cheerleaders can disconcert.

Oh, pay the kid $50 for the film so your picture doesn't end up plastered all over the school
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I say take your time getting up from the heap of cheerleaders and let your partner worry about whatever happened on the court.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, a word of advice to our new friend, try not to catch yourself backpedalling in the first place. That is a sure disaster waiting to happen, especially at the lower levels because you have more small children running around that somehow end up on the sides of the court. Always have your body facing the direction you are going looking over your shoulder, and the first step should be towards the sideline so you don't get caught in the middle of an outlet pass.

Now with regards to the play you can't score the basket because the PC foul makes the ball dead immediately. The basket would not have been allowed anyway.

If our new found friend were trail becoming lead, he wouldn't be responsible for the goaltending call anyway unless he were following the play in. Trail in a two man always has basket interference and goaltending responsibilities.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First, I would silence the chearleaders for profanity for the duration of the game, and asses a team technical foul to the cheerleader's team. And, since I would call a technical foul on the cheerleaders team, the rest probably never would of happened, thus no embarassment.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 04:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

I've posted this before, but since you're new, here it is again - NF rules.

You are officiating a game on the deck of a cruise ship. A1 has just inbounded to A2 after a made basket by team B and team B is pressing in the backcourt. You are at 7 on your 10 second count when the ship crosses the international dateline and it is now yesterday!!!

Here's the question: does A2 now get an additional 24 hours to cross the division line?
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

No, the time on the clock is irrelevant. It's the amount of time they have to get into the front court; 10 seconds.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier
Now with regards to the play you can't score the basket because the PC foul makes the ball dead immediately. The basket would not have been allowed anyway.
Are you sure? The note to the exceptions to 6-7 is below:

NOTE: If A1's try or tap is legally touched in flight, the goal counts if made, if the horn sounds before or after the legal touching. If the touching is interference or goaltending by A, no points are scored. If B violates, the points are awarded - either two or three depending on whether it was a two or three-point try or tap

The way I read that is if the defender (A3 in this case) goaltends, the points are awarded. Seems the ball would be live until the try was completed. If a foul had been committed on the airborne shooter the goal would have counted.

Obviously I could be wrong. There was a discussion on this somewhere but I can't find it.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Thinking about this more, let me add a qualifier.

If the GT comes before the PC - 2 points, personal foul on B1 and ball to A on a throw-in.

If the PC comes before the GT - no points, personal foul on B1, ball to A on a throw-in.

Does that sound right? I still wish I could find that discussion.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I've posted this before, but since you're new, here it is again - NF rules.

You are officiating a game on the deck of a cruise ship. A1 has just inbounded to A2 after a made basket by team B and team B is pressing in the backcourt. You are at 7 on your 10 second count when the ship crosses the international dateline and it is now yesterday!!!

Here's the question: does A2 now get an additional 24 hours to cross the division line?
I'm sorry, did something happen? I was looking at the young ladies in the loungers