The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
nfl officiating question

using nfl rules, does the linejudge and head linesman switch sidelines at halftime along with the chains? i was working a semi-pro football game this weekend as a linejudge and when i came out for the 2nd half the chain crew was walking over to my side of the field and they said they are on the home side for the second half, so the linesman and myself switched sides for the 2nd half. is this how it works in the nfl?
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Yes, they switch at half time in the NFL. Not sure about the SJ and FJ. Some college conferences went to it last year as well.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

what is the real purpose of this?
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Just to follow up on grantsrc's post...FJ and SJ switch sides as well in the NFL.

Interesting that some college conferences also have adopted switching the chains at halftime. But C-USA does not move the officials--just the chains. So the HL and LJ essentially switch jobs at halftime. I don't know if they change their shirts to have the correct position placket on their backs.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally Posted by irefky
So both coaches get the chance to chew their backsides!!
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irefky
REPLY: While I agree with grantsrc's assessment, I think the real reason is so that each coach has a half where he can look across the field to see for himself the distance to the line-to-gain. It's darn near impossible to judge that by looking at the chains when they're on your side of the field.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

In the NFL there is a line to gain marker on both sides of the field. On the HL side, it's the front stake of the chains and on the other side, it's a just a pole. The line to gain guy lines it up by eyeballing the opposite side (remember NFL fields are superbly marked and many crews tend to start a series on a yardline). I think the switch is so each official gets evenly roasted.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Bob, in Conference USA the chains don't switch sides of the field the officials do. The chains stay opposite press box and the HL,LJ, FJ and SJ switch at half time.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

I don't mean to say anything bad about the officials in Conference USA and I know it wasn't their idea but that has to be the dumbest practice I've ever heard of - having the HL and the LJ switch jobs in the middle of the game!

Maybe next year the R and the U will switch at half time!
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelDeuce
Bob, in Conference USA the chains don't switch sides of the field the officials do. The chains stay opposite press box and the HL,LJ, FJ and SJ switch at half time.
REPLY: I just went back and reread the email from my C-USA friend. You are indeed correct. In their conference, the officials change sides--not the chains.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
I don't mean to say anything bad about the officials in Conference USA and I know it wasn't their idea but that has to be the dumbest practice I've ever heard of - having the HL and the LJ switch jobs in the middle of the game!
Do they switch plackets too?

But seriously, do the F/S switch responsbilities?
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Al Delvento??
Old Sun Jun 11, 2006, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

The reason for the switch is due to the perception that a coach can "work" the officials on his sideline and gain a call or two throughout the game. The idea of switching sides in theory minimizes the effect (real or perceived) of an official favoring one coach over the other.

This mechanic was born out of paranoia, and was something that coaches had asked for. It is slowly catching on, why exactly, I don't know. Perhaps in some cases, there's a bit of "Stockholm Syndrome" for officials working on a particular sideline.
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I forwarded the question about why the chains switch sides to an NFL HL. This is his reply.

The reason I was told is so you don't have to listen to the same guy the whole game. Don't forget we have chains with the LJ as well (auxiliary chains). However, when we change at the half, the main chain guys go with me (HL) and the auxiliary guys go with the LJ. The chain crews are different. I have the traditional box, chain crew, and clip guy, along with the "Penalty Card". We use 2 clips, in case we have to relocate to the previous spot due to a replay reversal. The Auxiliary guys on the LJs side have a "Drive Start" stick that stays where the drive started, a box that mirrors the LOS and down indicator on my side and a Front stake for the Line to gain (along with a strip of orange plastic so the runner can see the LTG if the stick is moved to avoid contact.) In college, some conferences (usually run by NFL guys, C-USA, MWC, Big 12, etc) have the HL/LJ flip at half time. This history of keeping the chains opposite the press box is: when you film FROM the press box, it is easier for coaches to see the down/distance from across the field.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Same in the CFL, sticks and downsbox with the HL on the home side first half, picket on away side.

2nd half, we switch, eh? Don't forget, we have to drag all that metal 65 yards to the other side of the field!! Whhhhew! LOL!