The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Hey I am not a football official in fact I am a player so I don't know much, but to me it seemed like the touchdown that was called back in football 40 was kinda tacky. Was that really offensive pass interfearence. I play defense and from what I saw that stuff happens all the time and is never called. What do you guys think?
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

I think the receiver shouldn't have pushed off.

GO STEELERS!!!
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

The seperation the receiver had from the defender to make the catch was gained when he extended his arm into the defender's chest and pushed off. Maybe it doesn't get called all the time, but how many times is it RIGHT in front of an official like this one was?

Clearly a foul, and clearly a correct call.

Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

That push off penalty was crap. It never gets called all season and then you ticky tack it here.

That Hasselback fumble call just proves how bad this crew was. The ground doesn't cause fumbles and it should never have needed to be reviewed and reversed.

When did Big Ben cross the goal line. The ball only touched the paint when he was flat on his belly with three guys on top of him.

Horrible officiating and the world got to see it all.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to New AZ Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete in AZ
That push off penalty was crap. It never gets called all season and then you ticky tack it here.

That Hasselback fumble call just proves how bad this crew was. The ground doesn't cause fumbles and it should never have needed to be reviewed and reversed.

When did Big Ben cross the goal line. The ball only touched the paint when he was flat on his belly with three guys on top of him.

Horrible officiating and the world got to see it all.
The push was a good call, if he hadn't pushed off, he wouldn't have made the catch.

The fumble call was good to let it go to replay. If he would have gone down untouched, it would have been a fumble. The touching by the defense seemed very slight and could easily have been missed on the field. This is one case where the ground could cause a fumble under NFL rules.

The touchdown was close. It looked like it may have crossed the plane before he was hit and knocked back. Watching it in slow motion on TIVO, it was hard to tell and definetely should not have been overturned.

Overall, I think the crew did a good job.

Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Guys, seriously, I feel they did a good job overall. The push off OPI was a good call. The push by the receiver caused the separation.

The fumble was a good no call with replay. The contact was small and would've been difficult to see for many of the guys. If he wasn't touched, it would have been a fumble according to NFL rules. No "gound can't cause a fumble" in that scenario.

On the Roth TD, you can see that the ball while in his arm crossed the goal line, heck, it was even reviewed and upheld.

On the holding penalties, all good calls. The LB and DL got past the OLman and they hooked them. Once the defensemen was past the lineman, he had his hand outstretched to the right and held him. All good calls.

Well, at least the all seemed like the right calls to me from the confines of my couch.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Guys, keep i9n mind that Pat4Life, Dave30, and yankeesfan are not football officials, they're just fanboys.

Just ignore them until the mod gets here.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Reffing intramural flag football doesn't count, yankeesfan.

You've illustrated over and over gain on this site that you're not an official. Nothing you say is going to change anyone's mind here.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 11:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by yankeesfan
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Guys, keep i9n mind that Pat4Life, Dave30, and yankeesfan are not football officials, they're just fanboys.

i sure am a football official. if you think they did a good job, like the block below the waist call, i would love to see you work. keep up the good work BBR.
If you are a football official, you are quite ignorant to be posting such idiocy on an officiating board.

Then again, Madden and Michaels thought it was a bad call, so it must've been.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 11:55pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

i sure am a football official. if you think they did a good job, like the block below the waist call, i would love to see you work. keep up the good work BBR.
If you are a football official, you are quite ignorant to be posting such idiocy on an officiating board.

Then again, Madden and Michaels thought it was a bad call, so it must've been.
i did not post anything ignorant. thank you very much.
Do we need to send you a keyboard with a functioning "shift" key?
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 03:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Pats4Life
If you watch the play again you see that the illedged push off wasn't even a push off at all and the same defender 15 yards earlier in the same play had his hands all over the wr that wasn't called. If your gonna be Bad at least be consistant.
I have to disagree with you. I looked at this play several times on TiVo and it was clear that the push put the defender back on his heals. Not only did the receiver extend his arms, he did so with the officials standing not 5 feet away from the play. I will admit at first that when I first saw the play I did not agree with it. After reviewing it several times this was a good call. Sorry, we are just going to have to disagree on this one.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 04:16am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by dave30
I am a basketball official. I defend the referee 99% of the time, but I know when a team is getting the shaft on every close call.
How were they getting the shaft? Football officials have less influence on a game than what takes place from Basketball officials. It was not the officials that made the Seahawks fall for the Randal-El pass play. It was not the official's fault that their FG kicker could only make one FG. I agree that some calls did not go the Seahawks way, but it was not the officials that did not make plays at the right time.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 04:28am
Do not give a damn!!

I must also state that there was only 10 fouls called the entire game.

Seattle had 7-70 yards.

Pittsburgh had 3-20 yards.

I guess it was the official's fault that Seattle gave up a Super Bowl record run by Pittsburgh on the second play of the second half.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 04:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
I just think that there were some very close, controversial calls that went Pittsburgh's way. Ben's TD run....you saw the official raise his hand to spot the ball...then decide to call it a TD. He wasn't even sure. Had he called it down (like he started to), it would have not been overruled by the replay, just as the TD was not overruled. The hold as Seattle made a pass to the 2 yd line with a chance to go ahead was a call that I do not believe the referee makes most of the time. The hold (if you can call it that) was not the reason the Seahawks completed the pass and should have been a no-call. Seattle's penalties were more costly because they were momentum-killers. It's not how many penalties, it was the timing of the penalties. I just don't think the game was called very well and I think Seattle was on the short end of the calls all night...not purposely...but on the short end nonetheless. I'm not the only referee who feels this way I'm sure. It is just that most of us will not criticize another official. I usually don't but this is the biggest game out there and I think Seattle has a legit complaint about the way the game was called.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 04:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Let me say this, I hated the illegal block call against Hassleback. I thought that was the worst call of the game. Also remember that a call was overturned that originally was ruled a fumble in the favor of Pittsburgh. What did Seattle do on that drive? There was a play that was ruled an incomplete pass that was thrown to Jeramay Stevens that you could make a case that was a fumble (it was really close). Seattle got a chance to keep the ball and what did they do on that drive? I have no problem to be critical of officials for the right reasons, but do not tell me just because some calls did not go the way of one team it cost them the game. If Jeramay Stevens could catch a cold, they might have been in a better position to win the game. It also did not help when Hassleback threw a big interception deep in Pittsburg territory.

BTW, I will disclose that I had a cousin that played and started in the game for Seattle.

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Feb 6th, 2006 at 07:38 AM]