Thread: Mercy Rule
View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 24, 2001, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Hope we never get the mercy rule

As one fellow already said, we have no mercy rule in West Virginia. I hope we never do...

I've worked games where teams came back and won, being down 25 points in the fourth period... and I've read about even bigger comebacks.

If some erstwhile coach gets his jollies in beating a team 70-3, I'll leave him to the court of public opinion. Although not sanctioned by any rule-making body, there is such a thing as "calling every foul" which can get a coach back in line without ever saying a word. He'll get the message...and you will be able to stand by your calls... "hey, I just had a good night nailing fouls, man."

Besides... it's one thing to get humiliated 70-3... it seems to me that at the varsity level it would be an even worse humbling to have a clock wasting time that the losing team is entitled to. Seems to me like it would be more honorable to say, "we're going to stop the game, because we're totally outclassed" ...and forfeit, than to make a travesty of the game...which is what the running clock is.

Just my opinion....