The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

When I got my Turkey Day assignment back in August I couldn't be more thrilled. I absolutely love the challenge of getting stuff right when the microscope is out. Thursday will by far be way bigger than any game I have ever officiated.

I'm told it's for a conference champinship between two inner-city schools and the schools really go at each other. They're expecting between 5,000 and 7,000 fans and who are pretty passionate. People at work of course had to point me to this article when I told them of this assignment thinking I would be nervous. Haah!

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/13221055.htm

Can't wait for this challenge. It will really help me benchmark whether I can work in front of a large, tough crowd.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

My turkey day assignment:
eat way too much, drink way too much, burp way to much, sit around wondering when the in-laws will get the hell out way too much, hope I recover in time for the game on Friday.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
Can't wait for this challenge. It will really help me benchmark whether I can work in front of a large, tough crowd.
Is this the same team (coach) that wouldn't allow some officials to enter the field without his permission?
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, but you know what? I had them in a quarter-final playoff and he and his staff were extremely professional. I was warned to keep the team at bay and it was no issue.

I nipped it in the bud quickly and didn't even mention it (but then again, they were the away team). My association handled the specific situation and we were assured it wouldn't happen again.

But in the playoff I told the coach an hour after we arrived which was still an hour before the game (2 hours total of pre-Game time) that we as a crew made 2 points of emphasis in our pre Game conference and they were game control and sideline control and I asked that he would please abide by our desire to have a well-controlled game. He was more than cooperative. It starts with communication and hopefully it extends to turkey day. (And, they lost in the playoff by the way)

*** Call me a "suck-up" or anything else if you want but I said (and don't regret the words I used) "coach, this means a lot to your kids and we don't want any parts of throwing coaches or players out of this game due to stupid stuff. So let's please keep the players in the team box and communicate with each other." Believe me they were appreciative and it went a very long way to being a well-controlled game. I'm sure we made mistakes in officiating but hey I'm not Ed Hocculi or Gerald Austin and don't pretent to be. Like I said you guys call me what ever you want but it worked...which is all I could ask for.

What ever works baby!

*** - Basically I was told these guys were extremely hard to control so get on them early, hence my unusual actions. BTW - last year this same game had 27 penalties, most personal fouls.

[Edited by ljudge on Nov 21st, 2005 at 08:54 PM]
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 04:21pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
When I got my Turkey Day assignment back in August I couldn't be more thrilled. I absolutely love the challenge of getting stuff right when the microscope is out. Thursday will by far be way bigger than any game I have ever officiated.

I'm told it's for a conference champinship between two inner-city schools and the schools really go at each other. They're expecting between 5,000 and 7,000 fans and who are pretty passionate. People at work of course had to point me to this article when I told them of this assignment thinking I would be nervous. Haah!

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/13221055.htm

LJ, that link did not work for me. It game about how bad the Camden area is? What game do you have?
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 04:24pm
tpaul

our Turkey-Day game is New Egypt @ Bordentown....

hopefully it is quick and painless...LOL
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tpaul
Quote:

LJ, that link did not work for me. It game about how bad the Camden area is? What game do you have?
They must have removed it. Yes, apparently the city has again been rated the most dangerous city in the nation!
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tpaul
our Turkey-Day game is New Egypt @ Bordentown....
Sorry about your luck! :-)
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 07:45pm
tpaul

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ljudge
Quote:
Originally posted by tpaul
Quote:

They must have removed it. Yes, apparently the city has again been rated the most dangerous city in the nation!
LJ, what game do you have?
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Where would you rather be on Thanksgiving than 'on the wing'?

Perhaps one of the teams runs the wishbone, which might give them a leg up on their opponents. Keep us abreast of the action. Hopefully it'll be close rather than one team getting the stuffing beaten out of it.

[Edited by ABoselli on Nov 23rd, 2005 at 09:25 PM]
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
Where would you rather be on Thanksgiving than 'on the wing'?

Perhaps one of the teams runs the wishbone, which might give them a leg up on their opponents. Keep us abreast of the action. Hopefully it'll be close rather than one team getting the stuffing beaten out of it.

[Edited by ABoselli on Nov 23rd, 2005 at 09:25 PM]
AB, Jay Leno is on the phone!
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Thank you, thank you.

I'll be here all week. Try the veal.