The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

any truth to the rumors of NF going to blue bean bags next season?
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
I brought this up at the beginning of the season and was almost laughed off of another board. I felt that I heard if from a fairly reliable source. He gets his info from a guy that works hand-in-hand with the Fed.

Where you getting your info? Be curious to compare notes!
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Here in IL some crews have taken it upon themselves to
use the blue bean bags. As far as I can find it has not
been authorized by the IHSA.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 04:48am
Official Forum Member

In Germany, my first year (3 years ago) they were using them, but the highest league - and I think the European league has decided that they don't like them and have switched back.

I think it has something to do with being harder to find them on tape.
And there are very rarely snow games here, so it isn't that big an issue.

James
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 05:33am
Official Forum Member

Just FYI, EFAF has never used nor authorised the use of blue bean bags in EFAF games. And with the quality of tape we get, it IS harder to find them on tape.

Never heard that mentioned as a reason though.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

More college conferences are going to them (I suspect due to influence of NFL in their supervisor ranks) and one conference even went to an orange one this year. Looks like we are most all headed that direction (blue). I think this is a Honig's Conspiracy, sort of like the change mandating we toss our caps when players go out of bounds. Someone is bound and determined to make us buy new stuff.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

If the NF does allow other color bags, I hope they word it similar to the CCA manual which only specifies "like colored" bags.
I say that because that dark blue bag does not stand out on the field like a white bag. Sure maybe in the snow it does providing it's not more than an inch.

I really like the look of the orange bag on the field. It's stands out like a beacon. I'd go with orange over blue should it be permitted. Otherwise, it's a white bag to the end.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

The orange looks too much like a penalty flag from a distance. I say WHITE IS RIGHT (in bean bags anyway).
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

White is the best color.

In our area there are so many different sports that use the same field until you have a proliferation of colors. So oten when you get to the goal line you have to ask yourself which color line is it.

Going with blue bean bags just complicates a complicated situation.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

I'm the back judge on my crew, and this year I started wearing three white bean bags. The two in front are traditional, but the one I keep in the middle of my back is a large folded square and is the one I use for PSK drops. In the past, I've lost too many of the smaller bags during the game, so when came across this one, it was perfect. So far, no lost bags.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Color has not been decided, but the concensus at the equipment meeting last week that round (disc shaped) bags will be mandated.
Thre are a variety of reasons. One is safety: with no corners the problem of hitting someone in the eye is greatly reduced.
Secondly, a round bag is found to lay on the ground flatter, especially with the new turf fields. Therefore it is more easily seen by not only the crew on the field but also the sorebooth and the tape/film.
Third is accuracy. It has been found that with just a bit of practice almost any official can learn to sail these round bags ala a frisbee with very good aim to the wanted spot if neccessary to actually throw the bag rather than just drop.
Lastly one of the stff has come up with a new way to attach the bag to the uniform without having to tuck it in the belt or pants thereby making it much easier to get the bag in play.
Haven't seen it, but I heard it's done by having a small metal plate on the underside of the bag, and attaching a flat rare earth magnet to the belt in the appropriate place. If this works, can flying disc flags be far behind?

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

"rare earth magnet"

. . .i would assume that it will be available exculsively through honigs. for a premium price. i am just glad we were not made to buy the honig pants this year with the state association patch in georgia.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Blue on grass is stupid. We will stay with white. They will have to tear the white bean bag "from my cold dead hands."
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Magnets are fun but I'm not sure I see them being used to hold bean bags to your belt. I am an engineer and worked with magnets. We built equipment that would separate material. These products were used for things such as recycling to making sure there was no steel in the raw materials for plastic injection molding. Rare earth magnets are not that expensive. They are terribly strong though and if the magnet has any size it can be quite dangerous. I worked with magnet assemblies that could pick up a railroad spike from 2 feet away. I knew of guys getting their hands stuck between a magnet and something else and had to be pryed free with a crowbar. I have magnets at home that will attract themselves to each other through your arm. Strong magnets are not something to play around with.

One thing in their favor is that magnets will not damage a digital watch. The LCD may have a distortion in the color but the watch will continue to work. A watch with hands will be destroyed in a few minutes around strong magnets because the magnet stops the workings and the motor burns out.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

wonder how this would affect my ready ref. i don't know what kind of workings it has on the inside.