The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

A magnet small enough to hold the washer in a bean bag probably wouldn't have enough "reach" to affect the workings in the Ready Ref. The Ready Ref is solid state except for the vibrator so that would be the only thing which could be affected. If they were to make a magnet to hold the bean bag then it would have very good holding strength to keep the bag attached but after that the field strength would drop off very quickly. You probably wouldn't be able to feel it after about 2 inches.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

what's next?

pyrotechnic flags. . .

electronic whistles . . .
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

I'm afraid that if I wear the "magnet bag" the wrong way, my umpire and I could truely be joined at the hip
GH
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Round (disc shaped) bags mandated? Don't these people have anything better to do. How about mandating learning how and when to use a bag.

I've never heard of anyone being hit in the eye with a bean bag. Secondly, if officials are tossing bags into players facemask area they are the ones who need to have the bag taken away from. Drop the darn thing and stop throwing it.

I drives me up the goal post every time I see the Umpire or the Referee toss a bag into the line because the QB/snapper exchange was mishandled.
Why! there is no need to bag this spot. It's not a fumble. Learn when to drop a bag and when not too. It's like learning any rule.. you have to study them.

Accuracy is moot, all one needs is the approximate yard line for situations where a bag is needed?
Flying discs, er I mean bean bags are not needed.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Wink

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Thu Nov 10, 2005, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim S
looks like I fell for it hook, line, sinker, rod and reel.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2005, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
Round (disc shaped) bags mandated? Don't these people have anything better to do. How about mandating learning how and when to use a bag.

I've never heard of anyone being hit in the eye with a bean bag. Secondly, if officials are tossing bags into players facemask area they are the ones who need to have the bag taken away from. Drop the darn thing and stop throwing it.

I drives me up the goal post every time I see the Umpire or the Referee toss a bag into the line because the QB/snapper exchange was mishandled.
Why! there is no need to bag this spot. It's not a fumble. Learn when to drop a bag and when not too. It's like learning any rule.. you have to study them.

Accuracy is moot, all one needs is the approximate yard line for situations where a bag is needed?
I second that.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

the Royal Blue bean bag works great on natural grass just as long as the field does not have a logo on it the same color
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Big-Tee
the Royal Blue bean bag works great on natural grass just as long as the field does not have a logo on it the same color
We talking daylight games or nightlight games?
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

i have worked on some bad fields with bad lighting and dropped my psk beanbag (i usually use my newest one for that), got busy and tried to come back to get it, and spend half of a quarter looking around for it. i really don't need any colors that may blend more with the crappy grass.

of course, i am an official, so i can't see very well..
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelpr
i have worked on some bad fields with bad lighting and dropped my psk beanbag (i usually use my newest one for that), got busy and tried to come back to get it, and spend half of a quarter looking around for it. i really don't need any colors that may blend more with the crappy grass.

of course, i am an official, so i can't see very well..
A BJ once told me that he always drops his beanbag on the hashes and he makes sure to note the approximate yardline he is standing on before the play. Sounds like a very good tip, its almost fullproof, unless a player picks it up and takes it to the sideline.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
I'm thinking about installing a beeping device that would be activated by a remote control. Just click the button, and a loud beeping noise would start coming from your bean bag. Or program it with a computerized voice saying, "Hey! Pick me up! I'm over here!"
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 04:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PSU213
Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey

I second that.
Megadittos!!! Putting the bag down at the wrong time demonstartes either you do not know exactly what you are doing or else you "saw" something inaccurately. Some guys argue it away by saying, "Well there is nothing wrong with just being sure" BS. You don't know what you are doing.

While we are on this..why do Fed guys bag the spot where a pass is intercepted?
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 06:07am
Official Forum Member

Wink

michaelpr,

Someone is WAY ahead of you! Check this out:

http://www.davidsteele.com/electronic_whistle.html
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dommer1
michaelpr,

Someone is WAY ahead of you! Check this out:

http://www.davidsteele.com/electronic_whistle.html

i looked at this and thought about buying one, but it just looks like an inadvertant whistle waiting to happen.