The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 07:53am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
A BJ once told me that he always drops his beanbag on the hashes and he makes sure to note the approximate yardline he is standing on before the play. Sounds like a very good tip, its almost fullproof, unless a player picks it up and takes it to the sideline.
This is a great idea! I already note the approximate line, but always having your bb at or near a hash mark is brilliant!
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMike

While we are on this..why do Fed guys bag the spot where a pass is intercepted? [/B]
I wish I knew myself. While I don't see it on a regular basis, it has been occurring. If it were inside the 5 yard line (i.e. a possible momentum situation) I'd not have a problem with it. Problem is for the times I've seen it, we're talking mid-field.

Once again, they just don't understand the reason for using a bag. Is it a training problem or a learning problem? Got a feeling it's a little of both.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

I whitehatted for a crew from a different region for some youth football association championships today and they used the blue bags as well. The field we were on was the site of a state playoff high school game, and their logo is a huge blue circle with red letters in the middle that was 20 yards in diameter. Let's just say I had a hard time finding the unfamiliar colored bag a couple of times today on fumbles.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

that's the only bad part about using the blue bags
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 04:38pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
Round (disc shaped) bags mandated? Don't these people have anything better to do. How about mandating learning how and when to use a bag.

I've never heard of anyone being hit in the eye with a bean bag. Secondly, if officials are tossing bags into players facemask area they are the ones who need to have the bag taken away from. Drop the darn thing and stop throwing it.

I drives me up the goal post every time I see the Umpire or the Referee toss a bag into the line because the QB/snapper exchange was mishandled.
Why! there is no need to bag this spot. It's not a fumble. Learn when to drop a bag and when not too. It's like learning any rule.. you have to study them.

Accuracy is moot, all one needs is the approximate yard line for situations where a bag is needed?
Flying discs, er I mean bean bags are not needed.
T, you are 100% correct about this one!
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 04:44pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by paysonref
I whitehatted for a crew from a different region for some youth football association championships today and they used the blue bags as well. The field we were on was the site of a state playoff high school game, and their logo is a huge blue circle with red letters in the middle that was 20 yards in diameter. Let's just say I had a hard time finding the unfamiliar colored bag a couple of times today on fumbles.
I like the Blue bean bag on the turf fields. I lose the white one on the lines....
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grantsrc
I'm thinking about installing a beeping device that would be activated by a remote control. Just click the button, and a loud beeping noise would start coming from your bean bag. Or program it with a computerized voice saying, "Hey! Pick me up! I'm over here!"
Why not just go to your local restaurant and steal 5 of those flasher/buzzer things that page you when your table's ready.
Old Fri Nov 25, 2005, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tpaul
Quote:
I like the Blue bean bag on the turf fields. I lose the white one on the lines....
I too have lost a white bag on a line. Took me a long time to find it. I now use the blue one. Most officials in Canada who use one are going to blue. (However, most of our officials in Canada do not use them, sigh.)
Old Fri Nov 25, 2005, 07:17pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by wwcfoa43
Quote:
Quote:
I too have lost a white bag on a line. Took me a long time to find it. I now use the blue one. Most officials in Canada who use one are going to blue. (However, most of our officials in Canada do not use them, sigh.)
why wouldn't they use them?
Old Sat Nov 26, 2005, 04:46am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Quote:
The bean bag is not a mandatory piece of equipment in our amateur game. In the past few years, more and more officials are using it. They are mostly the younger officials that only need a second to see it's value. I've actually written a document that outlines it's use.

As for blue/white, if your bag is on a line, shouldn't you have quite the idea of where your bag is? When I'm covering a kicking play, I always know (within 2-3 yards) of where the bag ended up. Here's how: I know the yard line I'm standing on. When I toss the bag, it's usually about 3 yards, and I can do the math. 40 yard line - 4 yard toss = bag on 36 yard line.

The R's know I use it and are not shy to ask me when they need it. And for some, I remind them that it's being used. There's one official in my local association who knows he can count on me to help manage the game with that extra step of a bean bag. I guess we're in a transition state right now.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 08:32pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Quote:
The bean bag is not a mandatory piece of equipment in our amateur game. In the past few years, more and more officials are using it. They are mostly the younger officials that only need a second to see it's value. I've actually written a document that outlines it's use.

As for blue/white, if your bag is on a line, shouldn't you have quite the idea of where your bag is? When I'm covering a kicking play, I always know (within 2-3 yards) of where the bag ended up. Here's how: I know the yard line I'm standing on. When I toss the bag, it's usually about 3 yards, and I can do the math. 40 yard line - 4 yard toss = bag on 36 yard line.

The R's know I use it and are not shy to ask me when they need it. And for some, I remind them that it's being used. There's one official in my local association who knows he can count on me to help manage the game with that extra step of a bean bag. I guess we're in a transition state right now.
That's awesome. Hope it keeps going that way.