The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

True/False:

Momentum is an exception that applies only to the defense.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

False.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

I miss this question on our classification test and I answered False. I am trying to acquire a copy of the key to verify the intended answer.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

True. It was revised this year to include R's catch of scrimmage or free kicks, but I would still consider R as defense.

Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BayouUmp
True. It was revised this year to include R's catch of scrimmage or free kicks, but I would still consider R as defense.

Why would the receiving team be considered the defense? The rule mentions "the defense or the receiving team". I changed my answer from True to False because the word "only".
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

The receiving team IS the defense. (Which team began the play by putting the ball in play? That team is, by definition, the offense.)
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: It is comical in a way. Designations A and B (or K and R) don't change during a down whereas the roles of "offense" and "defense" do change when there is a change of possession. What's comical is that even though we all know when to apply the momentum exception, the truth is it ALWAYS applies to the OFFENSE. Once R or B gains possession, they become the offense! (NF 2-42, NCAA 2-27)
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
Quote:
Originally posted by BayouUmp

Why would the receiving team be considered the defense? The rule mentions "the defense or the receiving team". I changed my answer from True to False because the word "only".
yes, it says "defense or the receiving team", but it also says ..."the ball belongs to B at the spot where the pass or fumble was intercepted or recovered or the kick was caught or recovered".

A and K are synonomous like B and R. These team designations are retained until the ball is next declared ready for play. (2-42-4)

Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: It is comical in a way. Designations A and B (or K and R) don't change during a down whereas the roles of "offense" and "defense" do change when there is a change of possession. What's comical is that even though we all know when to apply the momentum exception, the truth is it ALWAYS applies to the OFFENSE. Once R or B gains possession, they become the offense! (NF 2-42, NCAA 2-27)
True and therefore there is a conflict between 2-42-1 and 2-42-2 when there is a Chg of Poss. Things that make you say Hmmmm!

But unless we want to start making interceptions an offensive stat, we still have to answer this question as "True, Momentum is an exception that applies only to the defense."