The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

My friends and I are trying to figure out a play near the end of the Lions Tampa Bay game this sunday. The Lions completed a pass to Williams. Williams then stepped out of bounds. This was in the last five minutes of the game. For some reason, the clock didn't stop. Someone said it was because he was not moving forward when he stepped out of bounds. I've never heard of such a rule. Does anyone know what the rule is in this situation.

Also, is the official NFL rulebook online? I know NFL.com has a kind of summary, but I can't find the official rulebook.

Thanks.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tommyk
My friends and I are trying to figure out a play near the end of the Lions Tampa Bay game this sunday. The Lions completed a pass to Williams. Williams then stepped out of bounds. This was in the last five minutes of the game. For some reason, the clock didn't stop. Someone said it was because he was not moving forward when he stepped out of bounds. I've never heard of such a rule. Does anyone know what the rule is in this situation.

Also, is the official NFL rulebook online? I know NFL.com has a kind of summary, but I can't find the official rulebook.

Thanks.
I didn't see the play in question so I can only comment on what was written (and not on the play itself).

If forward progress is stopped inbounds, the clock should continue to run. If the player was trying to fight forward to gain yardage and goes out of bounds sideways, the forward progress was stopped in the field of play and the clock shouldn't stop.

The only rulebook you can find online (for free anyway) is the NCAA rulebook.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 10:59am
Do not give a damn!!

The NFL has different timing rules than the NCAA and NF. They run the clock on some plays when players go out of bounds under the right circumstances. I do not completely understand when the clock still runs, but I think it is around the 5 minute mark. I have an idea that the clock is handled differently at the 10, 5 and 3 minute marks. I will see an NFL official (and the Bear's timer) tonight at a meeting and I will ask him. I will report what they tell me.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

I saw this - Williams was hit in bounds, stopping his forward progress, and was heading slightly backward when he went out.

Roll clock.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

You used to be able to buy a book called "Make the Right Call - the Official Playing Rules of the NFL." I have one, but it's kind of old, and I don't know if they've re-issued it. I don't think they have.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.