The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Test Question (https://forum.officiating.com/football/22447-test-question.html)

alabamabluezebra Tue Oct 04, 2005 09:47am

True/False:

Momentum is an exception that applies only to the defense.

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:54am

False.

alabamabluezebra Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:12am

I miss this question on our classification test and I answered False. I am trying to acquire a copy of the key to verify the intended answer.

BayouUmp Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:12am

True. It was revised this year to include R's catch of scrimmage or free kicks, but I would still consider R as defense.

alabamabluezebra Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:17am

Quote:

Originally posted by BayouUmp
True. It was revised this year to include R's catch of scrimmage or free kicks, but I would still consider R as defense.

Why would the receiving team be considered the defense? The rule mentions "the defense or the receiving team". I changed my answer from True to False because the word "only".

mcrowder Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:48am

The receiving team IS the defense. (Which team began the play by putting the ball in play? That team is, by definition, the offense.)

Bob M. Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:07pm

REPLY: It is comical in a way. Designations A and B (or K and R) don't change during a down whereas the roles of "offense" and "defense" do change when there is a change of possession. What's comical is that even though we all know when to apply the momentum exception, the truth is it ALWAYS applies to the OFFENSE. Once R or B gains possession, they become the offense! (NF 2-42, NCAA 2-27)

BayouUmp Tue Oct 04, 2005 02:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
Quote:

Originally posted by BayouUmp

Why would the receiving team be considered the defense? The rule mentions "the defense or the receiving team". I changed my answer from True to False because the word "only".

yes, it says "defense or the receiving team", but it also says ..."the ball belongs to B at the spot where the pass or fumble was intercepted or recovered or the kick was caught or recovered".

A and K are synonomous like B and R. These team designations are retained until the ball is next declared ready for play. (2-42-4)

BayouUmp Tue Oct 04, 2005 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: It is comical in a way. Designations A and B (or K and R) don't change during a down whereas the roles of "offense" and "defense" do change when there is a change of possession. What's comical is that even though we all know when to apply the momentum exception, the truth is it ALWAYS applies to the OFFENSE. Once R or B gains possession, they become the offense! (NF 2-42, NCAA 2-27)
True and therefore there is a conflict between 2-42-1 and 2-42-2 when there is a Chg of Poss. Things that make you say Hmmmm! :)

But unless we want to start making interceptions an offensive stat, we still have to answer this question as "True, Momentum is an exception that applies only to the defense."