The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Carolina punts after their first possession of the second half. Penalty on the play for illegal formation, only 6 guys on the line of scrimmage. Penalty is enforced from the end of the return.

GB scores with about 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter to make the score 26-13. On the ensuing kickoff, GB is offsides on the kick. Kick is returned to approximately the Carolina 40 yard line. Offsides penalty against GB is enforced from the end of the run.

I found it interesting on these that there wasn't a re-kick, and also that the team receiving the ball got the result of the play AND the yardage for the penalty.

Then, at 1:28 left in 3Q, the official just outside the pylon, actually around the 1-2 yard line on a throw into the endzone, went down when one of the Packers flew into his knees. Got right back up and signaled the incomplete pass.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

That is a rule change for this year.

As for the SJ(or FJ), I saw it and it happened to me once, he should have been backing up, staying on the goaline. Atleas the LJ(or HL) came in and gave the incomplete pass signal!
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Carolina punts after their first possession of the second half. Penalty on the play for illegal formation, only 6 guys on the line of scrimmage. Penalty is enforced from the end of the return.

GB scores with about 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter to make the score 26-13. On the ensuing kickoff, GB is offsides on the kick. Kick is returned to approximately the Carolina 40 yard line. Offsides penalty against GB is enforced from the end of the run.

I found it interesting on these that there wasn't a re-kick, and also that the team receiving the ball got the result of the play AND the yardage for the penalty.

Then, at 1:28 left in 3Q, the official just outside the pylon, actually around the 1-2 yard line on a throw into the endzone, went down when one of the Packers flew into his knees. Got right back up and signaled the incomplete pass.
Those were just 2 of the tack it on penalties for kicks for 05-06 in the NFL. I hope it filters down as I think it is a good rule change.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes

Those were just 2 of the tack it on penalties for kicks for 05-06 in the NFL. I hope it filters down as I think it is a good rule change.
I like it, I doubt the NFHS will take the offsides penalty idea just because its a DBF. But I think its a good idea.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Offsides on a kickoff is a dead ball foul in FED?

Really?

NCAA has adopted the same rule as NFL on this one. Fed should follow.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Offsides on a kickoff is a dead ball foul in FED?

Really?

NCAA has adopted the same rule as NFL on this one. Fed should follow.
REPLY: Yep...dead ball foul. While I agree with the idea of following the NFL and NCAA rules, it would be inconsistent with the remaining Fed code which also has "offsides" (encroachment) as a dead ball foul during scrimmage plays.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Right BobM, the NFgods do not like the word "exception".
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

I'd like to see the encroachments be live ball fouls so the other team can have an option. On a kickoff, R could have a really great return and decline the penalty. Also, it would save time as re-kicks are time-consuming. On scrimmage plays it also would give options and save time.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

I see no need for an exception. If the offense is across the restraining line on a kickoff, can they step back? What if they accidentally step on the line after the RFP, but before the kick starts. Dead there too? Seems that a kick is completely different from a normal offensive play, in that the whole team is moving forward at the point of the beginning of play. Is this motion mentioned as an exception in your rules regarding illegal motion on an offensive play? I'm guessing no - and if so, the beginning of a kickoff play is completely different than the beginning of a normal offensive play.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
I'd like to see the encroachments be live ball fouls so the other team can have an option. On a kickoff, R could have a really great return and decline the penalty. Also, it would save time as re-kicks are time-consuming. On scrimmage plays it also would give options and save time.
Enforced an encroachment on K during a free kick this past weekend. First one in two seasons. I agree NFHS should make this a LBF as it could take away a good return, OOB kick or just a plain short kick for good field position.

The K player I called it on was about 2yds over. Often I will see some of K "breaking the plane" of the K-line but I let this go as it really doesn't seem like such and advantage to K.

But one guy 2 yards ahead of the rest of them. A "gotta call" I think.

How much leeway - or not - do you give K before you whistle the ball and everybody back?

WM
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
I see no need for an exception. If the offense is across the restraining line on a kickoff, can they step back? What if they accidentally step on the line after the RFP, but before the kick starts. Dead there too? Seems that a kick is completely different from a normal offensive play, in that the whole team is moving forward at the point of the beginning of play. Is this motion mentioned as an exception in your rules regarding illegal motion on an offensive play? I'm guessing no - and if so, the beginning of a kickoff play is completely different than the beginning of a normal offensive play.
The reason this is a deadball foul is because as soon as a player is in the NZ it is a foul, even on scrimmage plays, you do not wait till the snap. Although some people do to allow the team to get back.

Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Enforced an encroachment on K during a free kick this past weekend. First one in two seasons. I agree NFHS should make this a LBF as it could take away a good return, OOB kick or just a plain short kick for good field position.

The K player I called it on was about 2yds over. Often I will see some of K "breaking the plane" of the K-line but I let this go as it really doesn't seem like such and advantage to K.

How much leeway - or not - do you give K before you whistle the ball and everybody back?

WM
if its a deep kick I give a good amount of leeway, only call it unless everyone in the stadium can see it.

If its onside kick I'm getting it everytim.
Old Wed Oct 05, 2005, 03:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:

How would you know. You are supposed to kill it immediately so no one will ever know what could have been.
Quote:

I am with you, gotta be over it if just barely then let it go, if obviously past it then flag it.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.