The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Had this play today and I just want to make sure we enforced it correctly. Our WH, who was on the sideline today, believes we may have incorrectly enforced it.

Offensive play from scrimmage at around the B45 or so. Runner takes the ball from the los to about the two yard line. During the run B clips at around the 15 yard line. Where is the enforcement from? What are A's options?
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Penalize B from the end of the run: A's ball at the 1 yd line. If A declines, A's ball at the 2.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Don't Move has it right. It's a running play, basic spot is the end of the run. All defensive fouls are penalized from the basic spot.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

We enforced it correctly, however, my WH reminds me that it was a facemask penalty.

My LJ also e-mailed the following: "I was thinking about this. You would have to repeat the down... Say you had 4th and 10 and the offense goes for it. A running play gains one yard and there is a 5 yd face mask. 5 yds would make it short of the first down. You would have to repeat the down. Say it was 4th and 20 and they go for it. The defense could pull the runner down by the mask at the line of scrimmage and even with a 15 yard penalty they would get the ball. The down has to be repeated."

[Edited by eventnyc on Oct 3rd, 2005 at 09:33 AM]
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Personal Foul

Wouldn't the PF 15yd. facemask give A an automatic 1st down?

Jaysef
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

No

only auto first downs for defense are roughing kicker/holder, passer, snapper, and Pass Interference
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Gotcha

Agreed. However, because the down will be repeated, Defense would never get the ball back after commiting a foul on 4th and whatever. Or am I missing something?
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Re: Gotcha

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaysef
Agreed. However, because the down will be repeated, Defense would never get the ball back after commiting a foul on 4th and whatever. Or am I missing something?
Yes, if the defense commits a foul other than USC or nonplayer during the down on 4th down then we will always repeat the down if the LTG was not reached. Or if it is a roughing or DPI then it will be an automatic first down.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
Had this play today and I just want to make sure we enforced it correctly. Our WH, who was on the sideline today,...
What was your white had doing on the sideline?
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

guys.....don't think so hard

Fellas,
Don't make it complicated...However I am confused as to how it was a clip, then a facemask LOL...however it doesn't matter...enforce from the end of the run, and replay the down unless the result of the play or enforcement leaves the ball in A's possesion beyond the LTG
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Re: guys.....don't think so hard

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Fellas,
Don't make it complicated...However I am confused as to how it was a clip, then a facemask LOL...however it doesn't matter...enforce from the end of the run, and replay the down unless the result of the play or enforcement leaves the ball in A's possesion beyond the LTG
Right, 1st and goal from the one after enforcement.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
Had this play today and I just want to make sure we enforced it correctly. Our WH, who was on the sideline today,...
What was your white had doing on the sideline?
WH is out due to surgery. He is back this Saturday. Our HL filled in and did a heck of a job! To show you how involved our WH is, he was on the sidelines working with the chain gang. He took care of the clip. My bad on the clip vs. face mask. It was a face mask. I forgot what the foul was!

Am I correct in reading this as posted:

If the line to gain was not reached, you are going to enforce the penalty yardage AND repeat the down!

[Edited by eventnyc on Oct 3rd, 2005 at 07:11 PM]
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

yep

yep that is correct, if the LTG is not reached repeat the down