The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
A11 thinking he has been replaced runs off the field. he realizes he is suppose to be in so he runs on the field about 5 yards, never made it between the numbers, he gets set and the play goes off. he did not deceive anyone. would tis be a live ball illegal formation penalty? please comment on what the correct call and enforcement would be?
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

I have illegal formation. 5 yards from the previous spot is the enforcement. Not having my rule book it can get tricky but I'll go out on a limb and say I would call this the way I posted it which is a foul.

Now...I suppose someone "could" raise an argument that if the player was between the 9-yard marks when the RFP was given then he satisfied the requirement. The technicality is that he's still a player (and as a player) who established himself between the 9-yard marks. He just happened to go into the team box but still remained a player. I believe if someone raised this as a argument it would be a stretch and a weak argument. Thoughts on this part of it? Anyone?
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

lets also say that A11 catches a pass for a touchdown, would that turn into a 15 yard penalty for illegal participation or would it still be illegal formation? everyting else is the same as in the original post.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 11:50pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by yankeesfan
lets also say that A11 catches a pass for a touchdown, would that turn into a 15 yard penalty for illegal participation or would it still be illegal formation? everyting else is the same as in the original post.
or how about OPI because he would be ineligible?
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tpaul
Quote:
thats a great point, but he was an eligble receiver. A11 was a wide receiver.
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 12:15am
tpaul

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
thats a great point, but he was an eligble receiver. A11 was a wide receiver.

I'm not looking at a rulebook right now but.... if that player is the player that is illegal formation, is he ineligible?
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I believe he is still eligible as long as he lined up in an eligible position and has an eligible number on. The foul is for illegal formation. He's a player who lined up incorrectly.
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 01:09am
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp
I believe he is still eligible as long as he lined up in an eligible position and has an eligible number on. The foul is for illegal formation. He's a player who lined up incorrectly.
walt,
he didn't line up correctly. he wasn't inside the mark. If a player lines up in the "no-man land" (neither on or off the LOS) That player has committed a illegal formation foul which makes him an ineligible, correct?
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp
walt,
he didn't line up correctly. he wasn't inside the mark. If a player lines up in the "no-man land" (neither on or off the LOS) That player has committed a illegal formation foul which makes him an ineligible, correct?
I don't agree but I see your point. If the player lines up correctly and he has an eligible number then the player is eligible by position and number. No foul for OPI. 7-5-6.
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

what would the penalty be if he catches a touchdown?
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Almost sounds like a substitution/participation infraction to me. Moreso than a formation foul. Have to look this one up.
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

I would call dead ball illegal substitution. No player may leave the field and come back into the game on the same play or dead ball period. No book right now but could come back in if there is an accepted penalty, timeout called. But once he leaves he must be out for that play except for the previous exceptions. There are a couple of more just dont have the book.
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 05:38pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by BoBo
I would call dead ball illegal substitution. No player may leave the field and come back into the game on the same play or dead ball period. No book right now but could come back in if there is an accepted penalty, timeout called. But once he leaves he must be out for that play except for the previous exceptions. There are a couple of more just dont have the book.
I have to kinda go with BoBo on this one. Shouldn't we bang this
guy once he re-entered? for illegal substitution. instead letting it run into illegal formation?

ART. 3 . . . During the same dead-ball interval, no substitute shall become a player and then withdraw and no player shall withdraw and re-enter as a substitute unless a penalty is accepted, a dead-ball foul occurs, there is a charged time-out or the period ends.
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tpaul
Quote:
Originally posted by BoBo
I have to kinda go with BoBo on this one. Shouldn't we bang this
guy once he re-entered? for illegal substitution. instead letting it run into illegal formation?

ART. 3 . . . During the same dead-ball interval, no substitute shall become a player and then withdraw and no player shall withdraw and re-enter as a substitute unless a penalty is accepted, a dead-ball foul occurs, there is a charged time-out or the period ends.
[/QUOTE

the player can actually still become legal if he was to go in motion and get in between the numbers. this has to be a live ball situation.
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 06:26pm
tpaul

Quote:
[the player can actually still become legal if he was to go in motion and get in between the numbers. this has to be a live ball situation. [/B]

I wasn't talking about the illegal formation. A11 withdrew and re-enter. Shouldn't that be illegal substitution?