The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Shot gun formation. Guard blocks below the waist. I'm certain I had this occur in tonight's game but I was looking at the line from left to right and it happened on the right side of the line. I believe I missed it by .1 second.

Seriously, in your opinions you could easily argue that the ball is quickly out of the FBZ and the O-lineman wouldn't necessarily be that quick to beat the ball out of zone therefore could have an illegal block below waist.

The point I'm trying to make is if you saw it that way would you call the foul? I told the coach I was pretty certain I saw this in the first half and would be watching for it in the 2nd half if he went to shotgun again.

I'm very certain he's teaching his guard to do this because he thought it was legal and argued a little about it. He was very surprised to hear it was an illegal act. I told him the FBZ disintegrated once the ball left the zone.

Of course is assistant said "but they're allowed to CHOP." Ugh!
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

I think the intent of the rule is to allow a block below the waist on the initial line charge. With QB under center, the ball is going to take a couple of seconds to leave the zone, no matter what he does with it. The intent is a safety factor. They don't want any delayed blocks below the waist. I don't see any advantage gained by the offense just because the QB is 5 yds back instead of 4. If the block is on the initial charge, I'm not flagging it.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 11:25pm
tpaul

LJ,
I understand what you're saying because it is the rule. But "Don't move" has a great point in the "intent" part of the rule...

I have to say I wouldn't call it either.
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Formation with the snap going to a back
that is not in the free blocking zone-
if the offensive lineman in question
drops immediately to a cut/below the
waist block-- no problem--- if he delays
--flag it.
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I wouldn't call it if the block was on the immeadiate charge after the ball was snapped but it will get a flag if it's delayed.
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 05:49pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp
I wouldn't call it if the block was on the immeadiate charge after the ball was snapped but it will get a flag if it's delayed.
Great point walt!
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

My rule of thumb is that if A is in shotgun and at the snap a lineman stands up and then makes his charge (i.e. he delays) he's likely to get a flag. If he blocks immediately out of his 3 pt stance he's OK.
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kentref
My rule of thumb is that if A is in shotgun and at the snap a lineman stands up and then makes his charge (i.e. he delays) he's likely to get a flag. If he blocks immediately out of his 3 pt stance he's OK.
That is how we call it as well.
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

If the guard was stationary and positioned in the Close Line Play Area (2 yards ahead and behind the line, from tackle to tackle)at the time of the snap, and the block occured in this zone then it is legal.

If the player wasn't set in the CLPA or the block occured outside the CLPA then it's an illegal block. I've seen some nasty injuries from low blocks and would not hesitate to call it seeing how the intent of the rule is the safety of the players.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

The official interpretation in Wisconsin. Not a direct quote, but this is what we were told a year or two ago:
It is impossible to tell if the ball had left the zone when the block was made. For purposes of this rule, it is to be assumed that the block is legal if it is part of the initial charge. If there is a delay, it is a foul.