View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
Quote:
Originally posted by l3will
NFHS rule 7-5-8... Pass Interference restrictions on a legal forward pass begin for:
a. A with the snap
b. B when the ball leaves the passer's hand.

So in federation rules B can block, bump or otherwise impede
a receiver until the ball leaves the passer's hand; as long
as it isn't defensive holding or some other personal foul.
No 5 yard restriction as in the NFL.

[Edited by l3will on Oct 1st, 2005 at 02:02 PM]
Let's clarify this a bit. If the receiver is not attempting to block, or has gone past, or is moving away from the defender, the defender may not make contact.

Rule 9-2-3d...A defensive player shall not contact an eligible receiver who is no longer a potential blocker.

A guideline is to permit contact until the receiver occupies the same yard line as the defender or until the opponent cannot possibly block him. Continuos contact is illegal.
I always went with the mindset that if the receiver wasn't "presenting" himself as a blocker, D shouldn't touch him. By presenting I mean in a blocking stance. I never really called it, but that's what I thought. Until I read another thread here over the summer.
A defender can knock him on his can, prevent him from running his route using legal techniques, pertty much anything as long as the receiver is in front of him, the ball is behind the receiver, and has yet to be thrown. That's where the potential blocker part comes in.
Now if they are next to each other, or if the receiver has made a cut and is no longer facing or in front of the D, then you have illegal contact if the ball isn't thrown. It doesn't get called much because there are so many other things going on. In 5 man, with only three officials covering 5 potential receivers, it's tough to see everything that goes on.