Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp
Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
I'm V BJ for the first time this coming Friday and will flag OPI (when I see it actually occur) until my WH tells me to let it go. I'm not too proud to have a flag waved off and would rather have that happen then to not make a call which should have been.

WM

If your R is watching what you're calling downfield who's watching the QB?
Good point on R if I'm way down field. But between him and the experience of the others, I have no doubt they'll assist as able since this'll be my first VBJ assignment. On the upside, they don't hand out V assignments unless they feel you're up to the task.

WM

Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
I would if the pass was to the side of the PI, if not I would not. First off if the player pushed off before the pass I would not throw a flag because if the QB never throws the pass then it is not OPI. If the QB does not throw the ball to him then what advantage did the offensive player gain (if the pass went to the opposite side of the field). Now if the player pushes off say 10 yards downfield and then a receiver catches a pass 5 or 10 yards downfield I would have a pick play and then OPI and a flag as soon as the pass is thrown.
Throwing the OPI flag requires some timing. As you are watching your keys if one throws a block you can rest assured you have a running play, or, at least, a screen pass. In fact, when I was a wing my attention went to covering the run exclusively. Then once the ball is thrown forward you toss the flag.

You are going to get some mouth from the offensive coach because the foul is delayed until the ball is thrown.

If the ball does not cross the neutral zone, you simply pick up the flag because there would not be an OPI.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

The new rule addresses "contact by a defender".

If I have a pick play (block or hold) on one side, a receiver runs accross the middle and catches a pass on the opposite side. That is OPI!!
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dumbref
The new rule addresses "contact by a defender".

If I have a pick play (block or hold) on one side, a receiver runs accross the middle and catches a pass on the opposite side. That is OPI!!
Yes, but if A1 (on the left sideline) pushes B1, and the pass goes to A2 (who is at the right sideline), I'm not calling anything.