Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tpaul
Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
I know I'll probably get slammed by some of you but I don't think it’s right to make any judgments on this kid at all except for his actions on the field or sideline. . I have no idea why he’s got the device and I don’t want to know. Maybe it’s been determined that by letting this kid play it just might help turn his life around. As an Umpire I would ask the coach it he could remove the device. If not then I would ask that it be tightly secured, padded and covered. We are there to make sure the game is played safe and by the rules. Nothing else
James,
where are you from? Where I am from (Trenton, NJ). People wearing such a device is already guitlty....
I’m from Oregon Thomas, and what does a person being guilty of anything have to do with us as Officials? We aren't his Judge or jury. He has the right to pay the price for his bad decisions and move on without further judgments and prejudices from others not concerned with his judicious infractions.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 10:43pm
tpaul

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I know I'll probably get slammed by some of you but I don't think it’s right to make any judgments on this kid at all except for his actions on the field or sideline. . I have no idea why he’s got the device and I don’t want to know. Maybe it’s been determined that by letting this kid play it just might help turn his life around. As an Umpire I would ask the coach it he could remove the device. If not then I would ask that it be tightly secured, padded and covered. We are there to make sure the game is played safe and by the rules. Nothing else
James,
where are you from? Where I am from (Trenton, NJ). People wearing such a device is already guitlty....
I’m from Oregon Thomas, and what does a person being guilty of anything have to do with us as Officials? We aren't his Judge or jury. He has the right to pay the price for his bad decisions and move on without further judgments and prejudices from others not concerned with his judicious infractions.

That is a bunch of liberal crap. The "kid" must have committed a major crime to have to wear such a device. He is wearing it why? Because they trust him? No, it is to track him. You're right it's not our job to "judge" him but what is important here? His rights to play football and reward him? If this devise has to be worn then maybe he shouldn't be permitted to play.

Come here do some inter-city games. I feel sorry for the kids who work hard to change their life by education and playing sports. But I am sick of players who break the law and because they are a "great" player. It is okay....
Old Sun Aug 14, 2005, 05:41am
Official Forum Member

This is from the Dallas Morning News.

Move Over Martha Stewart: HS Football Star Under House Arrest Wears Ankle Monitor to Football Practice - Brandon Jackson is being recruited by some major college football programs (Oklahoma, Kansas State and Texas A&M) and is expected to be a star wide receiver for Lancaster High School in Texas this season. Jackson's just like every other prep school football player starting two-a-day practices in anticipation of the coming football season . . . except for one little thing: the black ankle monitor around his right leg. You see, Jackson is under house arrest until his trial on Oct. 17 trial on six counts of aggravated robbery. If convicted, each a first-degree felony punishable by a prison term of five to 99 years or life. Right now though, he's concentrating on football and his attorney says the young gridiron star will plead not guilty at the trial. Apparently, until Jackson is convicted of the charges, he is still eligible to play, but may have to sit out the season for another reason: last year he played for North Mesquite High School and the coach there will not release him to play at Lancaster because the only reason he transferred was for athletic reasons. As to the robbery charges, Jackson will only say that he made a mistake adding "I couldn't really tell you what I was thinking. I can't tell you if I was thinking." At right, a picture of Jackson's ankles during football practice.
Old Sun Aug 14, 2005, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Tpaul - I can't speak for Trenton but in many progressive parts of the country, the devices are also being used to track folks that are out on bond, pending trial. The system has learned that it is less expensive to get as many folks out of the facilities until they are convicted. In the past it was pretty much just an honor system. Technological advances have made these devices cheaper, more reliable, and just an all around better alternative to pretrial incarceration in man cases. In this particular case, the offender is still pending trial.
Old Sun Aug 14, 2005, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
James,
I'm with you James, I don't care why he's wearing it and it shouldn't matter on whether i determine if he's playing or not. It is irrelevant, sports teach you a lot about life, maybe he is in the progress of turning his life around, you don't know. And you shouldn't care either.
Old Sun Aug 14, 2005, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here is a good idea, how about if the kid is in that much trouble...he doesn't play! I wish coaches would get some balls and sit some guys if they can't follow the rules of life. Somethings are more important then a HS football game, same goes for winning a HS football game.

When I played, nobody was bigger then the team and if you thought so you would be riding the bench!

Sports might be the only thing positive in his life and something that keeps his interest. I wouldn't be so quick to slam him. Why throw more punishment on a kid? I am glad I didn't grow up in some of these households.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
James,
So JAmes, you mean to tell me that you're a family man with little kids, and when some sex offender moves into the house across the street from you, you aren't going to have any prejudices about him because he molested someone else's kids? Bull$hit!!
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes

So JAmes, you mean to tell me that you're a family man with little kids, and when some sex offender moves into the house across the street from you, you aren't going to have any prejudices about him because he molested someone else's kids? Bull$hit!! [/B]
That’s not what we're talking about Potty-Mouth. I’m talking about our duties on the field and how I think it’s important to conduct ourselves in a professional manor without bias , This is my last word in this thread. Lets get back to some rule study
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes

So JAmes, you mean to tell me that you're a family man with little kids, and when some sex offender moves into the house across the street from you, you aren't going to have any prejudices about him because he molested someone else's kids? Bull$hit!!
That’s not what we're talking about Potty-Mouth. I’m talking about our duties on the field and how I think it’s important to conduct ourselves in a professional manor without bias , This is my last word in this thread. Lets get back to some rule study [/B]
No, that is what we're talking about.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That is a bunch of liberal crap. The "kid" must have committed a major crime to have to wear such a device. He is wearing it why? Because they trust him? No, it is to track him. You're right it's not our job to "judge" him but what is important here? His rights to play football and reward him? If this devise has to be worn then maybe he shouldn't be permitted to play.

Amen...

...although up here in Canada, he wouldn't have to worry about the device, he'd be out on his own with restrictions that couldn't be enforced.

If I was officiating one of his games, I wouldn't let him play, it's not there to help him in a medical way, it's not religious therefore it's not needed in a football game, and unless I was forced to from above, I wouldn't let him play with it. One less liability I need to worry about.

One other thing, in his words he admitted to committing the crime, in addition this crime was a felony. Why is it that people are protecting this guy and defending him. He's a criminal.

[Edited by ref18 on Aug 16th, 2005 at 05:25 PM]
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Ankle monitors

Last year in Ky, we had a situation arise - similarly. In the Ky case he'd been convicted and was on home incarceration with scholl activities included. In our state a felony conviction precludes one from coaching, teaching or officiating. This included playing according to our Umpire at that game. This kid needs to get a life free of crime & miscreant behavior. The NFL mollycoddles too many criminals and that becomes model behavior for kids with talent & ability, but who have highly limited social skills. They need further "coaching". Let's help with this coaching with a little "creative officiating" off the field and pre-game as well.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Ankle monitors

Quote:
Originally posted by NoTrumpKing
Last year in Ky, we had a situation arise - similarly. In the Ky case he'd been convicted and was on home incarceration with scholl activities included. In our state a felony conviction precludes one from coaching, teaching or officiating. This included playing according to our Umpire at that game. This kid needs to get a life free of crime & miscreant behavior. The NFL mollycoddles too many criminals and that becomes model behavior for kids with talent & ability, but who have highly limited social skills. They need further "coaching". Let's help with this coaching with a little "creative officiating" off the field and pre-game as well.
+1
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Just curious here but how are the authorities able to track someone who wears a monitor?
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 04:38am
Official Forum Member

There are several variations of the equipment. In some cases, if the device goes outside a prescribed area, i.e. the home, it gets too far from a base station and an alert is sent to a monitoring station. Often the offender is allowed to leave but only with permission so he/she calls into an office, advises what they are going to do, and then go does it. If not back within a prescribed time, an alert is sent.

Another method uses a GPS and transceiver to send a signal to a monitoring station advising as to the location of the device, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The monitoring office records the route and then the offender's probation officer can see where the person has been. The location can also be seen immediately if they want to monitor real time.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMike
There are several variations of the equipment. In some cases, if the device goes outside a prescribed area, i.e. the home, it gets too far from a base station and an alert is sent to a monitoring station. Often the offender is allowed to leave but only with permission so he/she calls into an office, advises what they are going to do, and then go does it. If not back within a prescribed time, an alert is sent.

Another method uses a GPS and transceiver to send a signal to a monitoring station advising as to the location of the device, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The monitoring office records the route and then the offender's probation officer can see where the person has been. The location can also be seen immediately if they want to monitor real time.
Could make for one helluva way to keep track of a ball game.