The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 09:32pm
Small Business Owner

Here is the actual wording...

The underlined sections are the new wording.
Revise 3-3-3a as follows:
There was a foul, other than unsportsmanlike or non-player or fouls which specify loss of down by either team and the penalty is accepted. In the latter case, any score by the team which fouled is cancelled.
Play situation: QB A2 runs many yards beyond the line to gain as the clock runs out for either half. A2 realizes he will be unable to score, but sees A3 in the end zone. A2 throws a complete pass to A3. RULING: The half (game) is over and no points scored. "Loss of down" penalties will not extend a period, regardless of whether the down is a factor.

While the wording may change slightly in its final form the intent is pretty cut and dry: "A" can no longer gain an extra play (and possibly win the game) by fouling in this manner.
The trade-off (on a 4th down situation, "B" is not given one untimed down) is a small price to pay for "A" no longer to be given the chance of letting their all-state kicker attempt the winning field goal from the 9-yard line. If you disagree, I suggest you ask any coach that has lost in this manner!!!

I would also expect some wording changes to last sentence of Rule 5-2-2 as the current wording currently conflicts with this new rule. And, perhaps, (but no likely) the Rules Committee will write a 4th down exception to this loss of down exception. I would, however, like to see them Rules Committee vote on BobM's suggestion that the offended team be given the option of whether to extend or not.

Hey ya'all. It may take a few years to get the wording just right, but remember, We made it through PSK with a few bumps. Based on that we should be able to make it through this one...
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Can't wait to see how they suggest we handle this situation which some bright official came up with. Consider it in light of the rule change which says not to extend the period if the foul includes loss of down:

A, 4-20 from their own 1 leading by 3 points. 0:03 remains on the clock. QB throws an illegal forward pass from his 2 yardline. Time expires during the down.

Do you think B's coach is going to like this new rule??
Well, he might not like it, but in practice team A is going to take an intentional safety in this situation anyway.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
REPLY: Right...I think the new rule is fair as long as the foul occurs on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down since the fouling team (A) would get another possibly unfair opportunity--like your play. But if it occurs on 4th down, and the result of the penalty would put B in a rightfully advantageous position, it does seem a little unfair. Maybe the right way to deal with it is to offer the offended team the option of whether to extend or not. That would take care of the play you mention as well as mine.
Your proposal really wouldn't be out of line. B should get a choice as in other penalty situations. However, there might be other situations that would require special wording until the rulebook is overloaded with ifs, ands, or buts.

PS Bob M: Are you busy editing "Penalty Enforcement for Dummies"? If you are let me know when you're done so I can get another copy. It's the bombdiggity!
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kdf5
(snip)...PS Bob M: Are you busy editing "Penalty Enforcement for Dummies"? If you are let me know when you're done so I can get another copy. It's the bombdiggity!
REPLY: I will as soon as we get the final wording of the rules and possibly some case plays. Until then I'd be shooting into the air. Personally, I don't think that the Press Release is enough to make the changes. Actually, the only rule change I see that directly affects enforcement procedures is the one about not extending the period when the foul includes loss of down. While the other changes may indeed categorize something as a foul that previously wasn't, the enforcement procedures to deal with the situation are apparently already in place.

By the way, is "bombdiggity" a defined term in Rule 2? Laugh
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Quote:
REPLY: Right...I think the new rule is fair as long as the foul occurs on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down since the fouling team (A) would get another possibly unfair opportunity--like your play. But if it occurs on 4th down, and the result of the penalty would put B in a rightfully advantageous position, it does seem a little unfair.

Bob, Is it REALLY unfair to B? Would they have had an opportunity to have a play and win the game if A hadn't committed such a foul on the last play of the game?
The change is to take away a situation where A can gain an advantage (score , or get another play) by committing a foul. It really doesn't take away an advantage for R. If there is no incentive to commit the foul there probably will be no foul of this type.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim S
Quote:
REPLY: Right...I think the new rule is fair as long as the foul occurs on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down since the fouling team (A) would get another possibly unfair opportunity--like your play. But if it occurs on 4th down, and the result of the penalty would put B in a rightfully advantageous position, it does seem a little unfair.

Bob, Is it REALLY unfair to B? Would they have had an opportunity to have a play and win the game if A hadn't committed such a foul on the last play of the game?
The change is to take away a situation where A can gain an advantage (score , or get another play) by committing a foul. It really doesn't take away an advantage for R. If there is no incentive to commit the foul there probably will be no foul of this type.
Like I said, the only real way A gets an advantage here is if they're doing something to avoid a safety in a tie game or one in which they lead by 1 or 2. But if they're throwing the illegal forwrd pass beyond the LOS, I'm guessing that they're not doing it to avoid a safety.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

It probably all should go the way of the higher level rules. The period can only be extended buy an accepted penalty against the team that didn't have the ball at the end of the period. Then there are no special exceptions for loss-of-down penalties and A can't "benefit" from their own foul. Perhaps we will get there in a few years.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim S
REPLY: In my opinion, yes it is patently unfair to B. By illegally ending the play (and the game) with an illegal forward pass, B by their foul deprives A of any opportunity to let the game end foul-free. You ask, "Would they (Team B) have had an opportunity to have a play and win the game if A hadn't committed such a foul on the last play of the game?" Good question. We won't know if we just allow A to end the game by throwing an IFP. Isn't there a risk of a fumble by the A runner if he just waits and takes the hit? And doesn't he effectively mitigate that risk by illegally ending the play? And just suppose he was going to pass. What's the safer route, throwing a pass to an eligible who is covered, or dumping it to avoid any possibility of a turnover?

Or even a better example: A leads by 3 points with 0:04 remaining in the fourth quarter. A, 4-10 from A's 4. A throws a pass into the flats at A's 8. Corner breaks on the ball and clearly has a perfect opportunity to intercept and take it in for the winning score. WR A88 pulls him down to prevent the interception. Pass falls incomplete. Clock expires during the down. According to the proposed rule, "Sorry B. The penalty for A's OPI foul includes loss of down so the game is over." Now I'll re-ask your question: "Would they have had an opportunity to have a play and win the game if A hadn't committed such a foul on the last play of the game?" Yep...probably.

I understand completely why the rule needs to be changed (the play you cited). And it's perfectly fair in that case. But in the plays I cite, I think it's grossly unfair. My suggestion to the Rules Committee would be to offer the offended team the choice of whether to extend or not.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Or even a better example: A leads by 3 points with 0:04 remaining in the fourth quarter. A, 4-10 from A's 4. A throws a pass into the flats at A's 8. Corner breaks on the ball and clearly has a perfect opportunity to intercept and take it in for the winning score. WR A88 pulls him down to prevent the interception. Pass falls incomplete. Clock expires during the down. According to the proposed rule, "Sorry B. The penalty for A's OPI foul includes loss of down so the game is over." Now I'll re-ask your question: "Would they have had an opportunity to have a play and win the game if A hadn't committed such a foul on the last play of the game?" Yep...probably.

I understand completely why the rule needs to be changed (the play you cited). And it's perfectly fair in that case. But in the plays I cite, I think it's grossly unfair. My suggestion to the Rules Committee would be to offer the offended team the choice of whether to extend or not. [/B]
That's a better example than the one I questioned on the "other" board. B does really get screwed here.