View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.

Or even a better example: A leads by 3 points with 0:04 remaining in the fourth quarter. A, 4-10 from A's 4. A throws a pass into the flats at A's 8. Corner breaks on the ball and clearly has a perfect opportunity to intercept and take it in for the winning score. WR A88 pulls him down to prevent the interception. Pass falls incomplete. Clock expires during the down. According to the proposed rule, "Sorry B. The penalty for A's OPI foul includes loss of down so the game is over." Now I'll re-ask your question: "Would they have had an opportunity to have a play and win the game if A hadn't committed such a foul on the last play of the game?" Yep...probably.

I understand completely why the rule needs to be changed (the play you cited). And it's perfectly fair in that case. But in the plays I cite, I think it's grossly unfair. My suggestion to the Rules Committee would be to offer the offended team the choice of whether to extend or not. [/B]
That's a better example than the one I questioned on the "other" board. B does really get screwed here.