View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texoma_LJ
I have been told that this coming season I will be given a few varsity games to call and look forward to it all ready. I am interested in hearing about how much leinanacy is given to coaches on the sideline reagrding stepping out onto the field to coach in-between plays. Is this something that is up to each LJ nad H, is it something that is discussed normally in pre-game, or is the best advice to keep the coaches on the white and off the green. Also, what about the rule regarding only having 3 coaches in the box at one time? I would like to set a standard early on with the coaches and be consistent in how I treat them regarding this.
From what I have picked up reading the board, it makes a difference in how the coaches are in different areas. I agree with a couple of the others in saying that if they are coaching, calling plays, off the field during plays, and not getting in your way, I really don’t think you worry about it. Now if your association, or state dictates, “no coaches on the field at all” or something like that, I would assume the coaches are aware of that and oblige, or they know they would get flagged. In our area, we really do not have a problem with the coaches getting out of line on the field. Remember the intent of this rule is to have them not get in the way of your officiating and safety reasons. If they are not on the field during a play, then safety is not an issue. Use common sense with sideline management. Have good communicators on your wings, listen, give numbers of fouling players, explain penalties to the coaches if needed, and all will go well.

TXMike had great advice about focusing on your responsibilities on the field. Use common sense with the coaches, know your responsibilities, communicate in a professional and knowledgeable way with coaches, and you will be fine. Good luck!!!