View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

This was a point of emphasis in Georgia last year. They wanted us to concentrate more on keeping coaches in the box and off the field. They rarely mentioned the 3 in the box rule.

Here's how most of the WHs in my association handle it:

If they're coaching, a few steps on the field isn't hurting anyone as long as they're out of the way. If they're stepping on the field a couple steps to complain, they'll be told to back up and if they don't will receive the sideline warning. It's kinda like the coaches box in basketball. If they're coaching, a few steps outside of the box isn't hurting anything. Complaining is relegated to the box. The three in the box rule is pretty much ignored unless it gets really crowded.

I worked with WH last season that is INCREDIBLY picky about the sidelines, and as such he didn't want 1/2 of a toe on the green. I didn't like it, but I do what I'm told.

I think it's best to meet with your crew, and talk about and decide how THAT CREW will handle the sidelines. That way you're not giving more to one sideline on the other.