The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

My (not too veiled) point was that he could have phrased it in a way other than, "these guys obviously screwed it up and then gave some lame excuse - what do you guys think?"

Those officials made a mistake which impacted the game and took responsibility for it and knew the proper administration. Luckily, 'announcers' can make mistakes all day and have no impact on the game - they just impune you and I when they percieve a mistake by one of our own.

Would you walk up to, say, Greg Gumbel at a party and say, "Hey, I heard these announcers on a game yesterday who totally misstated a rule over and over - they obvioulsy didn't know what they were talking about, and then they wouldn't admit to it - what do you think about that?" If I were him, I'd take offense.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bklabe21
Hi all,

I was announcing the Princeton vs. Yale football game earlier today on the radio, and the officials totally blew a call. They somehow blew the whistle as if the running back for Yale was down before he fumbled even though it was blatant fumble with the benefit of instant replay. The Princeton coach went nuts, and the refs talked it over for a few minutes.

Finally they announced something to the effect of: "We are not entirely sure whether or not the runner was down before losing possession of the football. Therefore, we will replay the down."

Have any of you ever seen a doover in college football before? Is that actually part of the rulebook?

I'd love to know if this has happened before and if it is legitimate purely out of curiousity.

If any of you are curious how it turned out - Yale fumbled the snap on the next play and Princeton recovered. (Yale won the game, however).

thanks!
ABoselli,

We don't know what bklade21 said on the air, do we?

In bklabe21's last comment, he says Yale fumbled the snap on the next play and Princeton recovered. Not much of an impact on the game.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Green
Quote:
Originally posted by bklabe21

I was announcing the Princeton vs. Yale football game earlier today on the radio, and the officials totally blew a call.
All I know is that he said that they totally blew a call, when if fact they did not blow the call. They blew the whistle and got the call correct 100% according to rule. To get on here (without knowing the rule) and saying the officials blew a call will get you nothing. Our image of how bad officials are is primarily from the image that sportscaster give us. At some time or another wouldn't you excpect an official to stand up and voice his opinion.