The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 13, 2004, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Football the way it should be...not good for fans but awesome for players. Check out these pictures from games played in South Jersey last night. We had quite a few games get postponed due to weather but here's pictures from 2 SJ playoff games courtesy of a local paper. Enjoy....

http://cgi.courierpostonline.com/cgi...HEROKEE&curr=0

http://cgi.courierpostonline.com/cgi...DENWOLD&curr=0
Old Sat Nov 13, 2004, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

I guess you guys are allowed to wear jackets on the field? And you're only using 5 man?
Old Sat Nov 13, 2004, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
5-man crew in NJ. Jackets? Ewwwwwww.
Old Sat Nov 13, 2004, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't even notice the jackets. I need to ask them if they wore them for the game. The LJ (all the way on the right) just worked with me and I showed him the pics after today's game. I need to ask him that. I know the LJ wears that Honigs "all weather" shirt because he had it on today. But I need to ask about the others.

The schools don't want to pay for 6 men. We were attempting to have a 6th man in a big game earlier in the season and it was nixed at the last minute by the ADs.
Old Sat Nov 13, 2004, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
Didn't even notice the jackets. I need to ask them if they wore them for the game. The LJ (all the way on the right) just worked with me and I showed him the pics after today's game. I need to ask him that. I know the LJ wears that Honigs "all weather" shirt because he had it on today. But I need to ask about the others.

The schools don't want to pay for 6 men. We were attempting to have a 6th man in a big game earlier in the season and it was nixed at the last minute by the ADs.
Take a look at some of the other photos, there are some game shots that have the guys wearing jackets!
Old Sat Nov 13, 2004, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Remember to wash everything in cold water and to use the Clorox bleach stick for those hard to handle stains.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2004, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
And you're only using 5 man?
Same in this part of NY - 5 plus a timer for postseason. 4 plus a timer for regular season varsity, 3 for subvarsity. (Pop Warner, though, pays for 4 officials at all levels.)

There were some schools that wanted 5 officials for varsity and 4 for JV and were paying for them, but because this is a major point in a contract dispute, the schools' association issued a mandate halfway through this season that individual schools were not allowed to add an extra official to the baseline of 4 varsity, 3 JV.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2004, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Jackets

You know, I really have a hard time seeing what is wrong with a jacket. Where are you guys from that seem to have heartburn with it. Granted it looks better to not have them, but to me, it is better to be comfortable enough to concentrate on the game, than it is to look better without the jacket. Both of our playoff games this year were jacket games. One in the low 30's at kickoff with wonderful Wyoming wind, the other in a blizzard, mid 20's wonderful Wyoming wind, and snow...the first game we could have done without the jackets, but I was glad to have mine, as even with gloves my hands were pretty cold...the second game, no way I would have been out there without a jacket, not only would it have been uncomfortable, it would have been unhealthy...
Old Sun Nov 14, 2004, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Jackets

Jackets - North Carolina

The state HS Supervisor of Officials and our local association assigner has prohibited us from wearing jackets during the game. We may wear them prior to tha game and at halftime. I have always abided by this but some do not.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2004, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

In some states, I can see that it would work to prohibit wearing jackets.....but in some states it really wouldn't...
Old Sun Nov 14, 2004, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

In, Utah we are allowed to wear jackets. There are a few weeks out of the year where it is a must. However, I think those Honig's "all weather shirts" can eliminate the need for a jacket most of the time.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

I don't want my crew to wear jackets unless our health is at risk. Cold and raining or cold and very windy are personal health situations. This is mainly due to the fact that the guy with a very bad looking jacket won't buy a new one. He keeps whining that he wants to wear it for a varsity game but I keep telling him no and why I won't let him (he's older and won't get enough use out of a new one I guess). I think that we should wear enough cold weather gear under out long-sleeve shirts to stay warm enough. But then we don't officiate in blizzards.

I don't like the jackets because they cover up, or just make it harder to find, your belt and if your flags and bean bag are on your belt then they are harder to get to also.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

I don't like the jacket, I think it doesn't look good but on the other hand I think if the jacket makes you more comfortable then go ahead. But people should look to buying things to wear underneath. The main reason I don't like the jacket is because I feel its harder to operate; like throwing the flag and the beanbag. I know some situations warrant a jacket like in severe weather like blizzards and hurricanes.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

I do agree they don't look as good, and when possible we avoid wearing them...but at times it just doesn't make sense not to LOL...I don't care to ever officiate another "blizzard" game