Thread: Do Over!!
View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 14, 2004, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bklabe21
Hi all,

I was announcing the Princeton vs. Yale football game earlier today on the radio, and the officials totally blew a call. They somehow blew the whistle as if the running back for Yale was down before he fumbled even though it was blatant fumble with the benefit of instant replay. The Princeton coach went nuts, and the refs talked it over for a few minutes.

Finally they announced something to the effect of: "We are not entirely sure whether or not the runner was down before losing possession of the football. Therefore, we will replay the down."

Have any of you ever seen a doover in college football before? Is that actually part of the rulebook?

I'd love to know if this has happened before and if it is legitimate purely out of curiousity.

If any of you are curious how it turned out - Yale fumbled the snap on the next play and Princeton recovered. (Yale won the game, however).

thanks!
Football has do-over as you call them all the time at all levels. If there’s a double foul or an inadvertent whistle the play is usually replayed. Sounds like the officials got it right to me.