Thread: 2 things
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jjrye22
Disresepectful without being a 'personal attack' (*****ing WAY too much and causing a headache). Would you tend to just say 'That's enough coach' or give a sideline warning?
Usually these headache cases (in my area) are also encroaching in the official's area so it's not too much of a problem.
Just a question.
That's kind of the hard part, you have to handle things case by case. Depends what the coach is saying to you. One of the pitfalls most officials have is threatening: "One more word and I'm going to give you a penalty." then he says a word and you don't penalize him. If you say you're going to do somthing and don't do it when it happens, it looks really bad. If you have to threaten then you better follow through. My favorite lines are "I'll watch out for it coach" or "That's enough Coach" is a pretty good line to.

Really the sideline warning is for the coaches box, having more than 3 coaches or players in the box, but I have seen it used for taking care of yapping coaches. Even though that is not what it should be used for it is pretty effective.