The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I don't think it was before you were born, but it was quite a while ago that they changed the inelgible downfield. And believe me, once you get something like that in your head, it is hard to get out. I still have to think about it when I go to administer one.

As far as Georgia not allowing protests, didn't they have one last year that resulted in a big mess?
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 04:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Who would let the coach with the title "Head Coach", who wants to coach from the press box, say that his defensive coordinator or another coach, who is on the sideline, is the head coach for that night?

At lower levels we are supposed to ask who is the head coach for that game as the head coach is usually not there. So if the head coach wanted to give that title to another coach for the purposes of calling timeouts would you allow it?

Similarly, if the head coach is in the press box and you have multiple sideline interferences, more than three coaches in the box, so that you have to eject a coach do you eject the head coach in the press box or a coach from the sideline?
This was clearly covered as part of the rule change. You can't just designate a HC "for the night." If he is in the box, no coach can call timeouts (NFHS).
I understand all that.

How many times do you go to do a game and don't know who the head coach is prior to arriving at the game? They could run "anybody" out in front of you and call him the head coach and you might not know the difference. I'd be surprised if it hasn't happened somewhere.

Also if you have a JV game and the "head coach" is there but an assistant is being the head coach who are you going to allow to call the timeout?
On Friday nights I have crew cards already written up and usually have the coach's names (from the state website) already written down. If I get a different name when greeting the head coach, I know which questions to ask.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SouthGARef
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim S
"Really? When did they change that rule?" ("1971 coach" or, in a lot of cases, "Before you were born coach")

Any of these sound familiar?
I hate those guys. Being under 21 (I'm a youngin--second year official) I get a lot of flack from the coaches. But I don't have rules stuck from the 1970s like a lot of officials do.

We had an ineligble receiver downfield a few weeks ago, and when we replayed the down the defensive coach (my sideline) went nuts saying it was a loss of down. I mean, he was CERTAIN it was loss of down. He said he wanted to protest, and when I told them that the GHSA doesn't recognize protests he said he wanted to talk to the white hat.

Evidently, back before I was born IRD was a loss of down and the coach just had a flashback.
I know officials who still think R needs to have 5 players by their restraining line on kickoffs (and to this point, I have always seen them realize their error before the play).

I would like to see the previous week's game just once, because the rulebook didn't seem to matter in that game.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 07:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Deep
Well, I don't think it was before you were born, but it was quite a while ago that they changed the inelgible downfield. And believe me, once you get something like that in your head, it is hard to get out. I still have to think about it when I go to administer one.

As far as Georgia not allowing protests, didn't they have one last year that resulted in a big mess?
Ineligible downfield was last penalized with a loss of down in 1987.

This site will provide hours of enjoyment:

http://football.refs.org/rules/index.html

--Rich
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Ineligible downfield was last penalized with a loss of down in 1987.
Wow, '87? Gettin' old I guess, at least it feels that way some mornings.

Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Who would let the coach with the title "Head Coach", who wants to coach from the press box, say that his defensive coordinator or another coach, who is on the sideline, is the head coach for that night?

At lower levels we are supposed to ask who is the head coach for that game as the head coach is usually not there. So if the head coach wanted to give that title to another coach for the purposes of calling timeouts would you allow it?

Similarly, if the head coach is in the press box and you have multiple sideline interferences, more than three coaches in the box, so that you have to eject a coach do you eject the head coach in the press box or a coach from the sideline?
This was clearly covered as part of the rule change. You can't just designate a HC "for the night." If he is in the box, no coach can call timeouts (NFHS).
I understand all that.

How many times do you go to do a game and don't know who the head coach is prior to arriving at the game? They could run "anybody" out in front of you and call him the head coach and you might not know the difference. I'd be surprised if it hasn't happened somewhere.

Also if you have a JV game and the "head coach" is there but an assistant is being the head coach who are you going to allow to call the timeout?
On Friday nights I have crew cards already written up and usually have the coach's names (from the state website) already written down. If I get a different name when greeting the head coach, I know which questions to ask.
Your lucky. Here unless we do a lot of research ourselves we don't know who the coaches are until we talk to them. No reliable websites to get coaches names from for smaller schools. I do the research but even then I might not get the right name due to coaching changes during the season (have had a couple of those in my area in the last 3 years).

We only know where we are going and earlier in the week we tell the home team when to expect us.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I understand all that.

While the rule says a head coach is the only one that can call time out, you have to give some latitude. After all, with varsity squads there are head offensive and defensive coaches who really control their portion of the game.

Before the game starts tell the "head coach" he is the only coach who can call time out and it must be him personally on the sidelines. Of course, any of the players on the field can call time out.

Once the game starts weigh the situation when you hear that request for time out. If it is a critical situation and you hear "time out," grant it. You don't want to accused of causing that great play to happen.

But during that time out remind the head coach he owes you one and remember time out can only be called by him.