The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Patsfan2431
I had an interesting experience yesterday at a sub High School level game and would like to share to get some comments and feedback.

I was doing a game (3-man crew) and i was assigned as the WH. Although the WH assignment was informal, it was clear to me. Get to the game and find out that i was on a crew with a four year man and a rookie (I am in my second year). I was avised when i got there that i should not be WH because i didn't have enough "years" (this was from another 4 year guy that was officiating the game before). As i didn't know any of these guys, i complied. I was the FJ and kept the time.

Let me tell you that i was never embarrassed more in my life than at this game. The WH didn't have a clue how to run the game from the center. Flags would fly (from the other two) and i would have to talk them through what they saw and the enforcement with half of the calls being no foul. I would throw flags and they would be waived off by the WH because he "thought" he saw something different. By the end of the 1st Q, i was literally pushing myself to stay out there. I was pushing not to get on the PA speaker and tell everyone that i was better than this. (of'course i'm not going to put down one of my officials to a non-official)

I literally wanted nothing to do with the game. At one point i was so involved in counting both teams, explaining to both fellow officials and both coaches the fouls and enforcements that i did not accurately keep up with the downs for a half a quarter. And you know Murphy's law, one coach was screaming that we missed a down and gave the opponent a "fifth down" (never amounted to anything). I'm still not sure if we did or didn't. As i accept blame for this, i tried my best to keep up and "control" the game from an official's standpoint, but too much was going on for one guy to do it all.

To make a long story short, we finished up the game (blow out) and i made my way home and phoned the pres. to talk. I can understand the "green" on the new guy, but the four year man, first saying he should WH, and then doing a horrible game, whats that say? To make it even worse, both guys thought the game went "pretty well".

Any comments or feedback as to what i could have done differently? I am only a second year guy, and by no means feel that i am a better official than anyone, but i do know the rules, enforcements, mechanics as i put alot of time in preparing.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

What did your president say when you talked to him?
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Patsfan2431
The pres. (whom has helped me along the way to become a better official by giving me games with great officials and paring me on crews who know their stuff) basically said that he would talk with the board as a whole about the whole not having enough "years" concept and how that should not be applied to any game. Other than that he just listened asked my opinion on how the other guys could get better and just said that next time he would make it clear who would WH in these lower games.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

I think you did fine. Wasn't a good situation and you did about the best you could. Just chalk it up as a good experience to learn from.

As a general rule, years of experience is important. But it's the quality of the experience. I know some 20 year guys that aren't as good as 8 year guys. That's because the 20 year guy doesn't learn and build on their experience.

Just keep working hard. Sounds like your pres. sees something in you.

[Edited by Deep on Sep 13th, 2004 at 12:21 PM]
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

It has struck me odd how different the set-up is from state to state with officials.
The first time I officiated it was required to attend rules meetings wiht other officials (0 to 20+ years at all levels), Must attend 7 out of 8 weeks of rule instruction, game situations etc. Then a closed book test that lasted about 2 hours. Licenses were then issued on a class I or II basis. Class I for varsity and college level. Class II for all levels below varsity. One year spent at level I before being eligible for level II. Good system, learned from being with experienced officials and clsoed book meant you had to study.
This time around, they mail a test with the books, you fill it out and send it back. I have heard first hand officials asking each other for test results. Three are "state" rule meetings to review changes, but this is a formality requirement. Not having any "experience" I will not get alot of varsity games, or be eligible for playoff games. Although, I know that I study alot more than others, and I do have some previous experience.

The two tests account for eligibility in grading officials for playoff games (at least here), why not make the second one a mandatory closed book test. Lets make rule meetings obligatory. The young officials are much more apt to learn, and the more experienced officials can teach and mentor. The older officials that do playoff games wil have to earn the right to call these games. And if a young officail can prive himself early, what is wrong with having him get a well earned opportunity.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Years do not always yield experience and in some cases years take experience away as some official rely on their past and do not look at current rules and mechanics.

As a 22 year official and 7th as a referee I often let a referee in training or younger officials work as the referee in lower level games. But you need to know the capability of the official who is going to lead the crew. Every football official cannot adequately do the job of referee.

By our informal rules the fourth year man would be the referee. Should you as a two-year official be the referee? The answer is "it depends" and if some authority in your association felt you should be referee you might consider that decision was made with great knowledge and thought.

Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Ed. I don't think R takes that much experience, you do have some tough calls, like roughing penalties but for the most part I think its more about rule knowledge. I think it takes more experience to be a good BJ than a good R. It also helps when you're R to have a U that knows what he's doing, that can really help you with penalty enforcement. Also some people just aren't meant to be incharge and are better off at other positions.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

For Sub-V, we often try as often as possible to rotate people so that everyone gets experience at every position. If we have 4-man, and a young Ref, we often try to have an experienced guy at U - or vice versa. But seniority absolutely does not dictate your position - and I agree with the comment that years does not equal experience.

The only exception is that 1st-year guys often spend all of the 1st half off a season on the lines, until they feel comfortable in the middle (usually dictated by when THEY pipe up and say they want to try the middle.)