The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Well looks like we have our first major goof up by our NFL buddies.

Chiefs/Broncos game, if you didn't see it I will describe the situation.

Chiefs on offense are short on time and with 3 seconds they run a play which is unsuccessful. But the Broncos were offsides so they have one untimed down, so they decide to attempt a field goal. The ball is snapped from the 45 and the field goal is unsucessful, Broncos and Chiefs start to leave the field for halftime. But Trent Green(Chiefs QB) tells the referee they never enforced the 5 yard penalty, he is correct.

Most of the teams have already left the field so they have to get the teams to come back out to attempt another untimed down. They respotted the ball which moved it to the 35, incorrectly enforcing a 10 yard penalty. Mike Shannahan(DenverÂ’s Coach) has a picture of the original down showing that it should be on the 40. So Bernie Kukar the WH has to call up (I assume) the replay booth to ask where the ball should be placed. Chiefs attempt the FG a second time and are again unsucessful.

What are your comments, if any?

Now for a modified situation. Let's say that Chiefs made the FG the first time but someone on the broncos noticed the mistake, do you take the score off the board and replay the down?
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

My comments are these...

First, even the best make mistakes.

Second, Bernie looks like he's about to officiate a JV game. His shirt's zipper is down and his flag is hanging out of his pocket. Obviously in the end he will be judged based on his calls, but his appearance sure does not help matters.
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 10:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink None of us are immune.

There human. They got it right in the end, but it was a big mistake to not mark off the yardage.

When I get on national TV, I will be in position to judge. Until then, not much I can say.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Now I ask all of you: What would you do, and what would your respective rulebooks allow you to do in that same situation..?

Do you allow the offense to try the play again..? What if the defense had blocked the first kick and returned it for a TD..?

In this instance, the first kick was not only short, but wide left as well... Does that make a difference..? Also, in this case, the first kick was practically unmakable for this kicker due to the distance... (You could say that the HC agreed with this statement since he only called out the FG team after the 5 yard penalty was announced...) Does that make a difference..?

I'm of the opinion (for NFHS) that the offense should not be allowed a replay... Even though the officials screwed up,:
1) There's no specific provision in the rulebook for correcting spot mistakes (other than the "referee can wing it if he has to" provision), and
2) There's too many possibilities to account for, and I think you have to be consistent across all possibilities...

How would you guys handle it..?
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Under NFHS rules, a coach can request a timeout for a coach-referee conference to correct an administrative mistake.

If this had occured during a high school game, the officials wouldn't be able to do anything about it after the first field goal attempt. Once the ball is snapped (or the Referee declares a quarter over) after a mistake, the window for correcting the mistake is closed.

I'm curious as to what the NFL will say about this if anything.

[Edited by mikesears on Sep 13th, 2004 at 08:35 AM]
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

I posted another thread on this, (which I will delete)..does the NFL allow for a "correctable error"..as is pointed out above after the live ball the conference in a fed game would not be allowed...
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 10:31am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Every play I say to myself what yard line we're on. I don't self-verbalize the down becuase I wear a downs counter.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Just checked the NFL Gamebook and this is what it states:

"4-8-DEN 40 (:00) 1-L.Tynes 58 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Right, Center-83-K.Gammon, Holder-5-S.Cheek. Earlier 63 yard miss was deleted due to an official's spot error."

Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Appearance-wise, I think flags sticking out of the pockets look sloppy, like an auto mechanic!
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 01:22pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Appearance-wise, I think flags sticking out of the pockets look sloppy, like an auto mechanic!
All of our mechanics should be auto!

We shouldn't have to think about them - they should be worked into our game already.

Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes with all the different TV camera angles, the NFL officials look really bad. It makes me wonder, if they look so bad, how terrible would we look if all those cameras showed up at our high school games?
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jrfath
For some reason, Bernie Kukar's flag always ends up sticking out of his front pocket. And it is OUT, flailing in the wind. Looks very bad, but he does it. I don't see other NFL ref's flags like that.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jrfath
For some reason, Bernie Kukar's flag always ends up sticking out of his front pocket. And it is OUT, flailing in the wind. Looks very bad, but he does it. I don't see other NFL ref's flags like that.
I agree, that's probaly one of his only flaws, he is still one of my favorite NFL refs.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
All of our mechanics should be auto!

We shouldn't have to think about them - they should be worked into our game already.

I am working on my mechanics. They always seem to overcharge me!
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by jrfath
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree, that's probaly one of his only flaws, he is still one of my favorite NFL refs.

he is a very good ref but some one posted a 7 yr old picture with tony banks with a rams uniform on and his flag is there in it as well