Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
Originally posted by jrfath
For some reason, Bernie Kukar's flag always ends up sticking out of his front pocket. And it is OUT, flailing in the wind. Looks very bad, but he does it. I don't see other NFL ref's flags like that.
I agree, that's probaly one of his only flaws, he is still one of my favorite NFL refs.
He is a great ref, and I like him as well, but he leaves a little to be desired in the appearance department (not that my appearance is perfect, but I am not on national TV).
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PiggSkin
Now I ask all of you: What would you do, and what would your respective rulebooks allow you to do in that same situation..?

Do you allow the offense to try the play again..? What if the defense had blocked the first kick and returned it for a TD..?

In this instance, the first kick was not only short, but wide left as well... Does that make a difference..? Also, in this case, the first kick was practically unmakable for this kicker due to the distance... (You could say that the HC agreed with this statement since he only called out the FG team after the 5 yard penalty was announced...) Does that make a difference..?

I'm of the opinion (for NFHS) that the offense should not be allowed a replay... Even though the officials screwed up,:
1) There's no specific provision in the rulebook for correcting spot mistakes (other than the "referee can wing it if he has to" provision), and
2) There's too many possibilities to account for, and I think you have to be consistent across all possibilities...

How would you guys handle it..?
For Federation Rules, see Case Book

3.5.11 Situation A:

It is third and 8 from A’s 45 when A1 throws an incomplete forward pass. Erroneously the ball is spotted at the 50 and K1 punts the ball into R’s end zone. Following the down, the R captain requests a time-out so the coach may discuss the misapplication of the rules with the referee.

Ruling: Since the spotting of the ball was part of the previous play, it is too late to make any correction. The error had to be recognized and correction made before the ball was snapped on fourth down.