The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Looking for specific rule references for this play NCAA & NFHS:
p.s. I saw it happen last night in a Junior College game and I think it was done improperly.

Sitch: 4th and whatever from B's 45 yd. line. Team A lines up to kick a 55 yd field goal (they made one this length earlier). This one is partially blocked at the los, lands at about the 12 and rolls to the 3 yd line where it is downed by Team A. The crew was obviously unsure at first, they originally took it back to the 45 and then talked again and then took it back to the three yd line. Team B then gets a safety and in a very tight game it nearly cost them the game. They actually scored with 13 seconds left to win 23-20.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

Got it correct (ball at the 3) in NFHS. NCAA, the ball goes back to the previous stop in untouched by B beyond the neutral zone. Don't have NFHS books with me but NCAA reference is 8.4.2.b.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

In NFHS all scrimmage kicks are treated the same. If a FG fails to make it to the end zone, it is R's ball 1st and 10 at the spot where the ball became dead. If it breaks the plane of the goal line it is a dead ball and R's ball 1st and 10 at R's 20.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Same as a punt

NFHS- FGs and punts are treated the same.
Alexandria, LA
Louisiana NG
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

From reading the other responses in regards to NF rules, I assume these guys aren't from Texas. Under NCAA rules, the kick being untouched by B beyond the NZ should have came back to the 45. They just got there rules crossed.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonTX
From reading the other responses in regards to NF rules, I assume these guys aren't from Texas. Under NCAA rules, the kick being untouched by B beyond the NZ should have came back to the 45. They just got there rules crossed.
If I remember correctly only TX and MA use NCAA rules in high school. NF it is just like a punt. NCAA it comes back to the previous spot.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
p.s. I saw it happen last night in a Junior College game and I think it was done improperly.

Sitch: 4th and whatever from B's 45 yd. line. Team A lines up to kick a 55 yd field goal (they made one this length earlier). This one is partially blocked at the los, lands at about the 12 and rolls to the 3 yd line where it is downed by Team A. The crew was obviously unsure at first, they originally took it back to the 45 and then talked again and then took it back to the three yd line. Team B then gets a safety and in a very tight game it nearly cost them the game. They actually scored with 13 seconds left to win 23-20.
NCAA guys. May the confusion have been over where B touched the ball since the rules say if B touches it beyond the neutral zone it is the succeeding spot?

NFHS -- there are only two types of kicks; free or scrimmage. A field goal try is a scrimmage kick meaning it gets the same treatment as a punt -- succeeding spot always.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 10:35am
Do not give a damn!!

Question That is quite a long kick.

Quote:
Sitch: 4th and whatever from B's 45 yd. line. Team A lines up to kick a 55 yd field goal (they made one this length earlier).
They were attempting kicking a FG with the LOS on the 45? If they go back the usual 7 yards, that would be a 62 yard FG. They made one earlier from that distance? That is one hell of a kicker.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Specific rule references

If you have the NF picture book, look at the comment on rule 6-2-3.

Other NF references are a bit tricky, because there's no specific rule that says "Treat a non-scoring field goal like a punt." 2-23-4 defines a scrimmage kick, 6-2 describes what may happen during a scrimmage kick, 5-1-3e gives a new series to B after the scrimmage kick, and 8-4 is notably silent on the matter of missed field goals.

NCAA is simple. As FBullock pointed out, 8-4-2b says it all.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 05:28pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Here in Canada we would have a FGA. Missed FGAs are treated as a punt, so the restraining zone is in effect.

Team A player recovering the ball will draw a flag. After consultation between the calling official and the Referee, the A player that recovered the ball was either offside or was onside.

Offside:
-------
The flag will stand for a restraining zone foul. (5.4.2) Where any B player was or wasn't, and where other A players we or weren't have no bearing on the flag and it's application. B 1D/10 @ B-18.

Onside:
------
The flag will stand if there was also at least 1 offside team A player also in the 5 yard restraining zone. B 1D/10 @ B-18.

The flag will be picked up if the onside player was the only team A player in the restraining zone or other A players in the RZ were onside. A 1D/G @ B-3.