The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Q#18: A receiver who has given a valid or invalid fair catch signal may not block an opponent during the down.

I'm probably reading into the wording as with the debacle in the way they phrased #63. I answered this as False. OK, the rules say he can't block until the kick ends. But, the down technically ends there. So, you can say False because the words don't say when the kick ends. You can say True because the down ends when the kick ends (which makes the situation true.)

Q48: Here we go again on IS v. IP. It is illegal substituation if a replaced player unsuccessfully attempts to leave the field prior to the snap, whether or not he participates in the play.

I answered false. If he participates in the play you have illegal participation. But, technically you have a multiple foul situation. It's IS until he participates, then you have IP. So you could say true to this as well. But who knows where their heads are at?

Actually, one more. #17. I put T for this. There was some disagreement that the ball had to be beyond 5 yards with members of my crew. I said because it made it to the 45 it met the 5 yard requirement and answered true.

Any ideas on these 3 Q's?
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

I'll give some opinions on these three.

Q48: I'm with you on this. The note connected with 3-7-5 clearly indicates its an IP if he does participate. The answer key is wrong.

Q17: The ball isn't what has to go 5 yards, it's the kicker up has to go the five. However, and I think this is why the answer key says False, the ball is bouncing at the K-45 and that part is the part of 9-3-4-b which has been meet. The ball as touched the ground and now the kicker can be legally blocked.

On to Q18: Here's an example of when the kick ends, but the down hasn't. Bear with me on this.
It's a short kick, "R" signals for a fair catch but does not catch the ball. The ball rebounds back behind the NZ where "K" recovers. With me? By definition the kick has now ended but the down hasn't (see 2-23-2). Rule 9-3-3 says the "R can't block until the kick has ended and now it has. he is eligible to block again.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 04:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
Q#18: A receiver who has given a valid or invalid fair catch signal may not block an opponent during the down.

the answer is false as he can block after the kick ends. If someone picks up the ball and starts running with it, the kick is over but the down is not and he can block at that point.

Q48: Here we go again on IS v. IP. It is illegal substituation if a replaced player unsuccessfully attempts to leave the field prior to the snap, whether or not he participates in the play.

it is false and it is only one foul either IS if he does not partake in the play or IP if he does. Big difference between 5 and 15 yards.

Actually, one more. #17. I put T for this. There was some disagreement that the ball had to be beyond 5 yards with members of my crew. I said because it made it to the 45 it met the 5 yard requirement and answered true.

I do not have my test to know the exact wording of the question but if it is the ball needs to go 5 yards before the kicker can be blocked, that is false, it is the kicker that needs to go 5 yards.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 05:44am
Official Forum Member

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate you getting back to me on these. These questions were driving me nuts. T/F tests always do.

I'll pass your comments on to my crew members.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Hi Joe,

In answer to your Q18 situation. Cowboy fan is correct in that if someone scoops up the kick and advances the player can now block. There is ONLY ONE SITUATION in which this can happen. If R picks it up it is dead ball, and we all know that k can't advance a scrimmage kick! But if R gets the kick behind the LOS then he can advance it. Joe Didn't I teach you anything!!!By the way cowboyfan...GO EAGLES!!!
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Opps meant to say if K gets ball behinf LOS then they can advance. I didn't proof read it!!
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Linejudge is one of the most knowledgeable rules official I know. He knew more in the 2nd year in our cadet class the me and I was the instructor.

Q 17 is false because the kicker can be blocked after he has gone 5 yards OR the ball has touched the ground. Q17 says the ball is bouncing!!!!

Joe if you get some time on Mondays this fall, I'll let you sit in the back of the cadey class again!!