The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 10, 2004, 11:02pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
Went to rules meeting tonight in Nebraska. They want us to use the 5-second arm count, just like basketball. They said they will downgrade anyone who raises their hand, since that's the dead ball signal.
Ref Ump Welsch

Two things...I am not a basketball official and chop is S20 Illegal motion.

I am in New Jersey and my crew (BJ) has held his hand up the last 5 seconds. We have done this for the past 4 years and Players/coaches love it. Never had anybody complain or think the back judge was signaling dead ball....
Old Tue Aug 10, 2004, 11:09pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
KS, they 'suggested' that we use the basketball count. My crew will continue to use the hand in the air mechanic. The reasoning is this gives my backjudge the hammer and does not leave room for some asst. coach to start counting the arm motions and throw a fit because he thinks we got to five before the snap was off.
I agree whole-heartedly! All we need is for some coach to question whether it was 4.9 or 5.0 seconds! We have enough problems on the fields with the clocks when the 25-second operator starts the clock 5 seconds late!

KS and Forksref....I with you guys! Why make a big deal out of if? Coaches will be all over it. When you start that five hand chop thing. One coach will be watching and living and dying on it...

I think just raising the hand is more then enough of a warning! How many delay of games are we all calling out there?

Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
KS and Forksref....I with you guys! Why make a big deal out of if? Coaches will be all over it. When you start that five hand chop thing. One coach will be watching and living and dying on it...

I think just raising the hand is more then enough of a warning! How many delay of games are we all calling out there?
Apparently not enough to please someone with influence

Has anyone else from Illinois attended your rules meeting yet? If so, what did your interp. say about the 25 second count?
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Will attend a Nebraska rules meeting Thursday night. I anticipate that the "chop" (basketball) mechanic will cause problems for crews. You know that some teams will have an assistant coach watching the count. In game situations where one team is trying to use up time, (i.e., use most of the 25 second count before snapping the ball), this is going to be interesting, to say the least.
According to one post, Iowa isn't going to use a mechanic for this. Perhaps that makes the most sense of all.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

FL is not using this mechanic
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1AAUMP
Now I have a legitimate excuse to move to Florida.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
Originally posted by 1AAUMP
Now I have a legitimate excuse to move to Florida.

AMEN!
Old Fri Aug 13, 2004, 11:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by kentref
Will attend a Nebraska rules meeting Thursday night. I anticipate that the "chop" (basketball) mechanic will cause problems for crews. You know that some teams will have an assistant coach watching the count. In game situations where one team is trying to use up time, (i.e., use most of the 25 second count before snapping the ball), this is going to be interesting, to say the least.
According to one post, Iowa isn't going to use a mechanic for this. Perhaps that makes the most sense of all.
Yup.

This will be great in that 48-0 game where we like to s-t-r-e-t-c-h the play clock out a little bit. I guess we can always start counting at 23 seconds instead of 20
Old Sat Aug 14, 2004, 09:01am
Small Business Owner

Cool Oregon says no to new mechanic

OREGON will not use the basketball chop!
We have been instructed to continue to use the BJ raised hand (Dead Ball Signal) at 5 seconds remaining as per a directive from the OSAA office.
Old Sat Aug 14, 2004, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whatgameyouwatchinblue
the problem with doing the basketball count is most officials are not consistant with it. usually he is too slow with his count. five seconds is a pretty fast chop. our comish for our assc. last year timed some bj count and most were around 7 seconds. thats all good but we have had some teams that ran the double wing and would time the snap with one or two seconds left every snap. the back judge had to be right on with his count or the other team was on his ***. So this year we went to just the arm up at five seconds, that way every one knows to hurry the heck up.
What state are you in?
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Here in NJ, I'm told that we're going to use the chop during the last five seconds of the play clock.
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

In TN we are using the 5 second basketball count.
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 10:51pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Here in NJ, I'm told that we're going to use the chop during the last five seconds of the play clock.

Bob, will you do what they say? Also what did you do before, if anything?
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Utah

Utah talked about doing it from the chest straight out, not up like we've been doing it, at our clinic this year. As I've talked to BJ's at scrimmages, they're still going to be doing it high. Its just easier to see it that way and no one can complain.....
Old Sun Aug 22, 2004, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

In the Georgia six-man manual, there is no reference to the use of a hand signal by the BJ. My BJ uses a ready-ref timer for both 25 second and 1 minute timing. It has worked like a charm and no coach has ever questioned it. It vibrates on his hip and does not give off an audible signal. That eliminates any coaches beside him hearing it go off and screaming for a flag.