The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   25-second count (https://forum.officiating.com/football/14885-25-second-count.html)

Forksref Sun Aug 08, 2004 04:25pm

What are your BJ's going to use for the visible count for the last 5 seconds of the 25 second count?

It was mentioned in here a while back that someone simply put their hand straight up.

mikesears Sun Aug 08, 2004 04:43pm

Illinois wants a basketball "count" for the last 5 seonds according to the rules meeting I just attended..

BktBallRef Sun Aug 08, 2004 07:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mikesears
Illinois wants a basketball "count" for the last 5 seonds according to the rules meeting I just attended..
Same in NC. Following the NFHS mechanic to the letter.

CaUmpJW Sun Aug 08, 2004 08:20pm

Same in Califonia, the five second baskettball count

PSU213 Mon Aug 09, 2004 02:25am

Here in PA, they want the back judge to signal when there is 5 seconds remaining in the count by putting his hand up (like the dead ball signal), which is not a change since the BJ has been doing this all along.

FBullock Mon Aug 09, 2004 06:28am

Ohio will be doing the same as PA. Raising the BJ's hand with 5 seconds remaining in the count.

ABoselli Mon Aug 09, 2004 09:00am

NY's not doing it.

086962 Mon Aug 09, 2004 03:31pm

Our back judge uses an upward choping count on the last five seconds of the count.

Ref Ump Welsch Mon Aug 09, 2004 09:49pm

Went to rules meeting tonight in Nebraska. They want us to use the 5-second arm count, just like basketball. They said they will downgrade anyone who raises their hand, since that's the dead ball signal.

PSU213 Tue Aug 10, 2004 02:07am

Here in PA, the PIAA does not want the "basketball" count, just that BJ's do what the have always done (indicate 5 seconds left with a raised hand). I don't know why they don't want the basketball count, but what they say, goes.

devdog69 Tue Aug 10, 2004 08:54am

KS, they 'suggested' that we use the basketball count. My crew will continue to use the hand in the air mechanic. The reasoning is this gives my backjudge the hammer and does not leave room for some asst. coach to start counting the arm motions and throw a fit because he thinks we got to five before the snap was off.

Forksref Tue Aug 10, 2004 09:29am

Quote:

Originally posted by devdog69
KS, they 'suggested' that we use the basketball count. My crew will continue to use the hand in the air mechanic. The reasoning is this gives my backjudge the hammer and does not leave room for some asst. coach to start counting the arm motions and throw a fit because he thinks we got to five before the snap was off.
I agree whole-heartedly! All we need is for some coach to question whether it was 4.9 or 5.0 seconds! We have enough problems on the fields with the clocks when the 25-second operator starts the clock 5 seconds late!

PiggSkin Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:38pm

In Denver, (and maybe all of Colorado) the BJ raises his hand vertically at 20 seconds, then uses the basketball for the remaining count... I think the idea was that if the QB just sees you start chopping, he may not know if you're on 21 or 24... But if you start with the raised hand, then start chopping, he'll have a better chance of knowing where the clock is at...

Huskerblue Tue Aug 10, 2004 03:06pm

Iowa is not using any mechanic at all.

whatgameyouwatchinblue Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:34pm

the problem with doing the basketball count is most officials are not consistant with it. usually he is too slow with his count. five seconds is a pretty fast chop. our comish for our assc. last year timed some bj count and most were around 7 seconds. thats all good but we have had some teams that ran the double wing and would time the snap with one or two seconds left every snap. the back judge had to be right on with his count or the other team was on his ***. So this year we went to just the arm up at five seconds, that way every one knows to hurry the heck up.