The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Question

Hey all!!

You may have seen my name here now and then since I've been lurking and learning for the last couple of seasons but this year I'm REALLY taking the plunge and have registered with my local officials' association and will be out there on the field this year.

My question for all of you is what should I expect as a rookie official?? What will the association provide for me? What kinds of things - as far as uniforms, equipment, manuals - should I get for myself? Will they tell me all this at my first meeting??? What's it like on the field for a rookie? Will I be able to handle the 10 year old Pop Warner games????

I'm really interested to hear about rookie experiences and hope you all don't mind a beginner picking all y'all's brains.

-SW---
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

What the association will provide is soooo different from assn to assn.

Concerning equipment, buy yourself a starter package, such as this one:
http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Cat=1&Sub=97&Item=682

Honig's offer four different starter packages: With/without shoes and longsleeve/jacket (called cold weather) and longsleeve/shortsleeve (called warm weather).

I absolutely recommend the warm weather version. You'll get to use the LS-shirt a lot more than the jacket. Some assns. don't even allow jackets.

As with everything else, there are different shirts, pants and so on, but even the stuff in the starter package can be used for years, if you take care of it. Please note that the standard whistle you get in the starter package sucks (it's supposed to blow, sorry, couldn't helpt it...)

In many states, shorts are used for JV games and below. Some use white shorts, some use black shorts. Some wear short plain white socks with shorts, some wear long white socks and some wear the normal football sock with the top slightly folded down. Ask what they use in your assn. so you have the time to get the right type.

Try to find out early if you will be given rule books and mechanics manuals. Will you be working with NF (high school rules), or are you in a state where NCAA rules are used? There are different mechanics as well.

If you are serious about learning the rules, you should absolutely get this book here:

NCAA: http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Cat=2&Sub=33&Item=560
NF: http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Cat=2&Sub=33&Item=561

Apart from the rule book itself, this is the best rules publication you will find. Get it!

What's it like on the field for a rookie? Confusing. Don't be dissapointed if you feel that you didn't see squat your first couple of games.

My playing experience was rather limited when I started, so I didn't have that to fall back on. So I decided I had to learn the rules and let that be my "foundation". I hit the books hard, and studied like crazy. In my first season, I must have set the record for number of flags thrown. My feel for the game needed improving, and this is something that will come with time (and effort), if you are lacking in this department, like I was.

However, the time I put into rules study has really paid off, and I'm happy I did it. Knowing the rules makes you feel secure on the field, it makes you feel that you can handle stuff. When you feel secure, you look secure, and that will help you getting other people to accept your calls.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. The rulebook is tricky, and there is a lot more to officiating than knowing the rules. You'll find out that even though we have the same rules and mechanics, there are a lot of different philosophies (spelling?) and interpretations out there. Listen to what the experienced guys have to say, but at the same time, know that not everything they say will be the gospel. Some old-timers are so set in their ways, and officiating, like everything else, changes with time.

Post questions at boards like these, but keep the above mentioned things in mind when reading the answers. After some time, you'll know who you can trust on these boards.

Lastly (for this time at least) KNOW (and I do mean know) all the definitions in the rule book!!!! It is the KEY to understanding the rules.

Good luck and welcome to our fraternity!
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome to officiating.
Getting a "starter" uniform/equipment package is a good idea, but I concur with Dommer1 - you won't use a jacket much. Spend the money you save by not buying a jacket on a second pair of socks, a second bean bag, a second flag, a Fox40 whistle, and compression shorts.
Study the rules and mechanics continually. As much as you feel you're prepared for that first game, there will be stuff you just can't simulate until you've actually "done" a game. Once you've done a game or two, then you can better "visualize" game situations and mentally prepare yourself.
Check out the "New Official" series of articles that appeared in Officiating.com last fall. Those articles have some other "pointers" for new officials, based on my experiences. Read through the other Officiating.com authors' articles. I especially like Ed Hickland's "rules-related" articles. They've been a big help to me in understanding specific rules situations.
Good luck.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Welcome to officiating! I was new to officiating last year (and still am!) I concur on the jacket, I wouldn't buy one. Many area associations prefer you don't wear them. Even in Northern WI, in cold games, rainy games, I found just a good black t-shirt, compression shirt, or mock turtleneck (all black) worked well, and never would have needed a jacket.

I was fortunate to have a long time official sit with me while reviewing the Honig's site and identify what is really needed. I did not purchase the starter kit as my Big feet didn't match any of the shoe options. What I ended up buying and what I found worked well for me was:

1 long sleeve
1 short sleeve shirt
1 pair knickers
2 fox 40 whistles (have one available if someone else forgets according to my mentor)
2 down markers (one for down, one for ball position for when you are ump)
1 pair socks (should have bought 2 pair)
1 Hat ( not ready for white hat yet)
2 flags ( center weighted with the round sand weight)
2 bean bags,
1 whistle lanyard
1 of the hard plastic game log cards
2 bullet pencils.

And this year my wife gave me a Timex Ironman watch for Christmas, she was sick of me stealing hers every Friday and Saturday.

I also picked up a pair of cleats (boats) at a local sporting goods store, and I had a compression shorts already.

One nice thing that my local association did (Green Bay Officials Association ) was at the annual camp, the president of the association demo'd proper dressing procedure, boy that helped a rookie like me. Look professional, no matter what level you are at.

I think that's all I got, and Honig's worked well with me, I even had to return one item, and it was no problem.

Related to the manuals. In Wisconsin, after you register with the WIAA as an official, they send the NHFS Official's Guide, the NHFS Rules Book, and the NHFS Case book. I think they do that each year as you reregister.

Good luck, and have fun! I sure wish I had started this years ago. I thoroughly enjoyed my first year and hope you do so as well! Sorry for being so long winded, but am very excited for this upcoming season.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

If you get the rules down and the mechanics as well, you will be able to handle levels higher than 10 year olds pop warner. As I said earlier, I have a good mentor (actually 4, a veteran crew took me under their wings). That helps alot, find someone in your area that you can use as a mentor.

As for rookie experience, as someone said earlier, you will be a bit confused at first, but after a few games you will start to see things you didn't initially and start to understand the mechanics that you read about, and how to apply them appropriately on the field.

All I can say about my rookie experience is it was great, and that the kids are a lot bigger than when I played, so keep your eyes open and feet moving (not just for play, but to save your rear). I spent most of last year in umpire position. You want to be able to stay out of the way of play.

Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome to officiating! I agree with all that has been said.

Get as much experience as you can. The pop warner leagues will present you with all sorts of scenarios and plays that will mold you into a fine official. Take as many assignments as possible.

It will take time for you to develop a sense of the game, even if you have played. False starts and encroachment are easy to call. Stuff like holds, blocks in the back, etc are a little more subjective, and it will take awhile, maybe a whole season, before you feel comfortable and confident in those calls.

If you don't run/jog/walk/cycle start NOW. If you do any summer sports, that's ok, but be sure you are in good shape to handle a 60+ yard sprint.

I started officiating at age 17. After college graduation my job kept me out of officiating for 9 years. I got back in at age 31, and I'm not getting out again! It's a rewarding avocation. Enjoy yourself!
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks all for the suggestions and advice! Keep it up! I can hardly wait for things to get started in July!

One other question... From what they told me, I think the association provides the manuals you guys talked about but would it be worth it to get this years books as soon as they come out and start studying ahead of time? Or would I be better off just waiting?

-SW---
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Sit around the campfire!

Sean,

Welcome!

One of the best learning experiences that you will encounter will be discussions with veteran officials before games, at halftime, between, and after games. This is a great time to learn and ask questions as typically we all just sit around and discuss unusual plays from the game we're working or from the previous night. These real life scenarios are invaluable in learning the rules, mechanics, and the philosophy of the game, at each level. And, don't be afraid to ask questions. As a rookie, some of the "what if's" you ask may stump even the most seasoned vet and force them back to the rule book.

Best of luck to you. Like you as a rookie, I can't wait to take the field. It never gets old!
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Sean,

Congratulations on taking the plunge.

The biggest thing for me when I started doing football was the fact that suddenly I was faced with 22 players in motion at the same time and, visually, it was very chaotic.

I learned from other officials how to train my eyes to look for my 'keys' and my area. In each position, you will learn to look at certain things before the snap, at the snap and after the snap. Once you do that, it begins to make sense.

On our crew we use the expression, "We officiate the players, not the ball." Which means, we all have our jobs to do and rarely does it involve the ball.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
The biggest thing for me when I started doing football was the fact that suddenly I was faced with 22 players in motion at the same time and, visually, it was very chaotic.
Now would this be an illegal shift or illegal motion?
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Now would this be an illegal shift or illegal motion?
REPLY: Illegal motion. By the way, I've written a short paper on these two fouls if anyone is interested. Many times, officials confuse them. It doesn't make one bit of difference to enforcement, but it could be a technical error that an observer/supervisor might notice.

But most importantly, Welcome Sean!
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Bob, I'd be interested in reading what your paper is about.
Old Tue Apr 06, 2004, 04:05am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, me too. Especially since I'd say this is illegal shift...