View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Welcome to officiating! I was new to officiating last year (and still am!) I concur on the jacket, I wouldn't buy one. Many area associations prefer you don't wear them. Even in Northern WI, in cold games, rainy games, I found just a good black t-shirt, compression shirt, or mock turtleneck (all black) worked well, and never would have needed a jacket.

I was fortunate to have a long time official sit with me while reviewing the Honig's site and identify what is really needed. I did not purchase the starter kit as my Big feet didn't match any of the shoe options. What I ended up buying and what I found worked well for me was:

1 long sleeve
1 short sleeve shirt
1 pair knickers
2 fox 40 whistles (have one available if someone else forgets according to my mentor)
2 down markers (one for down, one for ball position for when you are ump)
1 pair socks (should have bought 2 pair)
1 Hat ( not ready for white hat yet)
2 flags ( center weighted with the round sand weight)
2 bean bags,
1 whistle lanyard
1 of the hard plastic game log cards
2 bullet pencils.

And this year my wife gave me a Timex Ironman watch for Christmas, she was sick of me stealing hers every Friday and Saturday.

I also picked up a pair of cleats (boats) at a local sporting goods store, and I had a compression shorts already.

One nice thing that my local association did (Green Bay Officials Association ) was at the annual camp, the president of the association demo'd proper dressing procedure, boy that helped a rookie like me. Look professional, no matter what level you are at.

I think that's all I got, and Honig's worked well with me, I even had to return one item, and it was no problem.

Related to the manuals. In Wisconsin, after you register with the WIAA as an official, they send the NHFS Official's Guide, the NHFS Rules Book, and the NHFS Case book. I think they do that each year as you reregister.

Good luck, and have fun! I sure wish I had started this years ago. I thoroughly enjoyed my first year and hope you do so as well! Sorry for being so long winded, but am very excited for this upcoming season.