The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

So, we're all in the dumps because the only football you can latch on to is the "entertainment" style delivered by the NFL. Fun for watching the officials, but players give you the big caveman walk after they make one good tackle, celebrations make you want throw up, and if a player doesn't call attention to himself, he's considered a weirdo. Enough already!

We're starting off-season study groups and I was wondering from the vast experience represented on this board, what was your single most memorable training event like? How were the rules or mechanics or philosophy shared from the experienced guys to the less exerienced guys? What is the best way to convey this in addition to the traditional play scenario, rule citation discussion method?

Best uses of video, powerpoint, on field walk thrus, etc.???????
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: We're lucky enough in my local chapter to have two NFL officials (an HL and SJ) in our midst. Each spring, one of them runs a clinic for the local HS and college guys. This past season, he brought his umpire and referee to the clinic. They barely touched on rules, but focused heavily on mechanics, positioning, and philosophy. They brought films from the NFL that focused on specific plays--OPI, holding, late hits, etc., etc. So we had an NFL referee, umpire, head linesman, and side judge tutoring us for about three or four hours. Since I have the opportunity to work on the lines and deep, I was extremely interested in those two presentations and the films on downfield pass action. I learned more from Tom Hill (the SJ) in his half-hour presentation than I've learned in twenty five years of HS and college meetings! What a resource!

THeisey: Tom...you're not that far away from us. You might want to come this April. Let me know.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

What state are you from again?

That sounds like a lot of fun and definitely sounds like you learn a lot too.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Bob,

Wow! What an opportunity!

I would take 30 minutes of their time. It must have been a real learning opportunity AND a great fellowship time with the NFL guys.

And I bet they were patient and gracious with their instruction.

You are very lucky my friend.

Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Very nice. We, too, have an NFL official in our chapter, but we've never approached him about bringing his buddies to help us out - perhaps we should.

The Bills camp is held nearby and there are usually officials there for a few days of camp in early August. Maybe we could try then.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: In answer to Snake-eyes' question, I'm from northern NJ. One of our two NFL guys is constantly involved with our mentoring program. He conducts regular classroom and on-field clinics for our new prospective members.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: In answer to Snake-eyes' question, I'm from northern NJ. One of our two NFL guys is constantly involved with our mentoring program. He conducts regular classroom and on-field clinics for our new prospective members.
Where abouts? I use to live in NJ a couple years ago. I use to live on Dover. It's around Rockaway and Sussex. Also by Lake Hopatcong, around those parts. Ever heard of them?