LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 04:09pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

God, I love football.

3 laterals and a missed PAT.

Geesh.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

lol, oh yea that was a crazy play and that really stinks for the saints. I was thinking they were goin to OT, its too bad. I feel bad for the kicker.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 07:47pm

Did you hear the commentators saying that there was some issues with the kicker and holder?

The the holder was holding the ball "too much to the right" for the kicker's liking.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Nope, I didn't hear that. I will watch highlights of it, maybe they'll talk about it. What'd they say exaclty?
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

They said the kicker had complained to the coach that the holder was putting it down about 1 inch to the right of "his spot". Talk about head cases!!!!!!!! But if I was gonna pick someone to make the crucial kick, it would likely be that kicker. He is something like 403 out of 408 extra points.

[Edited by TXMike on Dec 21st, 2003 at 08:42 PM]
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

that one lateral looked pretty forwardish. I am glad the play stood though, because that was the best play EVER!

The officials did a good job holding their spots when the craziness was going on.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 12:42am

403 for 409 and last missed one in 1999. Been in the league since 1987. Not a bad percentage - 98.533%. TX is right about the "right spot".

hab: you're right, the first one did look forwardish, but they need definite evidence that it was forward. I think that if it was ruled forward and a review happened, the call would also stand.

Yes, the refs did a good job. I heard an uncharacteristically high number of compliments on the officiating between yesterday and today.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

He should have complained that the uprights were placed too far to the left.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

What a play! I have a question on the scoring on this play. How is this play officially scored? Does Brooks get credit for a touchdown pass?? Our fantasy league championship will be determined by this scoring. Can anyone help me?????
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Schaef
What a play! I have a question on the scoring on this play. How is this play officially scored? Does Brooks get credit for a touchdown pass?? Our fantasy league championship will be determined by this scoring. Can anyone help me?????
Maybe on some fantasy football board somewhere- aren't there about a thousand of them?

We officials just know to give them 6 for the TD and 0 for the missed try.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Official Scoring

This from the NFL:
__________________________________________________ _
In the last play of the NO/JAC game, Aaron Brooks (NO) threw a 42 yard pass to Donte' Stallworth (NO). Stallworth lateralled the ball to Michael Lewis (NO) who ran it another 7 yards. Lewis then lateralled the ball to Deuce McAllister (NO) who ran it another 5 yards. McAllister then lateralled the ball to Jerome Pathon (NO) who ran it 21 yards for a TD. This is recorded as a 75 yard Passing TD for Brooks and the NO Team, a 42 yard reception for Stallworth, 7 receiving yards (without a reception) for Lewis, 5 receiving yards (without a reception) for McAllister, and a 21 yard Receiving TD (without a reception) for Pathon.
__________________________________________________ ____

This is consistent with the Randy Moss lateraled reception for a TD earlier in the year.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Mcrowder,
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Where did this NFL scoring rule come from?

Can you post the link?
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Official Scoring

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
This from the NFL:
__________________________________________________ _
In the last play of the NO/JAC game, Aaron Brooks (NO) threw a 42 yard pass to Donte' Stallworth (NO). Stallworth lateralled the ball to Michael Lewis (NO) who ran it another 7 yards. Lewis then lateralled the ball to Deuce McAllister (NO) who ran it another 5 yards. McAllister then lateralled the ball to Jerome Pathon (NO) who ran it 21 yards for a TD. This is recorded as a 75 yard Passing TD for Brooks and the NO Team, a 42 yard reception for Stallworth, 7 receiving yards (without a reception) for Lewis, 5 receiving yards (without a reception) for McAllister, and a 21 yard Receiving TD (without a reception) for Pathon.
__________________________________________________ ____

This is consistent with the Randy Moss lateraled reception for a TD earlier in the year.
A bit of a minor point, but I find it disappointing that the NFL used the word "lateralled" rather than "threw a backward pass," as I am pretty sure that lateral does not appear in their rulebook either.

Anyway, I agree that there was one borderline "backward" pass, but I think it can be said the pass was parallel to the end line. This play was far more legit than that way over-hyped Stanford-Cal "band" play.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Official Scoring

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PSU213
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
This from the NFL:
Anyway, I agree that there was one borderline "backward" pass, but I think it can be said the pass was parallel to the end line. This play was far more legit than that way over-hyped Stanford-Cal "band" play.
No one should every speak poorly of the band play.