View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Official Scoring

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
This from the NFL:
__________________________________________________ _
In the last play of the NO/JAC game, Aaron Brooks (NO) threw a 42 yard pass to Donte' Stallworth (NO). Stallworth lateralled the ball to Michael Lewis (NO) who ran it another 7 yards. Lewis then lateralled the ball to Deuce McAllister (NO) who ran it another 5 yards. McAllister then lateralled the ball to Jerome Pathon (NO) who ran it 21 yards for a TD. This is recorded as a 75 yard Passing TD for Brooks and the NO Team, a 42 yard reception for Stallworth, 7 receiving yards (without a reception) for Lewis, 5 receiving yards (without a reception) for McAllister, and a 21 yard Receiving TD (without a reception) for Pathon.
__________________________________________________ ____

This is consistent with the Randy Moss lateraled reception for a TD earlier in the year.
A bit of a minor point, but I find it disappointing that the NFL used the word "lateralled" rather than "threw a backward pass," as I am pretty sure that lateral does not appear in their rulebook either.

Anyway, I agree that there was one borderline "backward" pass, but I think it can be said the pass was parallel to the end line. This play was far more legit than that way over-hyped Stanford-Cal "band" play.